can you mount your ballast upside down?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by twelsch42, Jan 13, 2010.

1. I'm assuming you can mount a digital ballast sideways on a wall? Can you mount it upside down?

I'm going to try to avoid mounting on my ceiling because that's where the hottest part of my room is (duh), but could I if I wanted to?

believe me I've tried searching!

thanks
    T

2. Not a good idea. I don't even advise on the way I did my last install. Preferrably should be mounted on a shelf. Depending on the ballast of course. The fins are designed to let the hot air pull the heat away from ballast. If the ballast is hung upside down the heat will want to rise into the ballast increasing the temp. I hope this helps.

3. makes good sense, thanks for the quick reply

4. if you have sufficient air flow around ballast shouldnt be a problem if you have space put a extra fan to push hot air away from ballast fins are designed to take away heat but if you have enough air flow shouldnt be a problem

5. I have my ballast above the air input for the Cool tube.

That way air gets drawn over it keeping it cool.

6. if u have a electronic ballast u can

7. actually you can mount both electronic and regular ballasts upside down. magnetic ballasts usually come upside down in high bay lighting fixtures but heat is a problem (they are usually enclosed in a metal housing with no airflow). the regular magnetics in highbay fixtures usually go before the light cause of heat build up. as long as you keep cold enough the ballast should last quite a while