can you get rid of ants this way?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by yurigadaisukida, Jun 19, 2011.

1. pile of poison sugar/other food, ants bring it to hive, entire hive dies.

or are they too smart for this?

i sprayed ant poison everywhere and ive used traps, no matter what, the ants just end up avoiding the area and moving somewhere else in my house.

2. They likely have their nest under your house. If you can find where they are coming in, plug the hole with white mint toothpaste! They will not eat through it to get back in! The abrasive wears down their jaws- ants hate mint- the detergent is not good for their tummies!

3. thanks for the advise.

but i cant get under my house, nor do they only have one whole. its hard to explain but im in a neighborhood where the houses are all small and close together, and there is no elevations or basements or anyhting.

they are inside the floor and walls so there is no way to just plug them up. whatever i try, they just go around it.

4. Wherever the ants usually are, pour some common table salt. They'll never come back.

5. thanks ill try this now, ill let you know in a few days :wave:

6. If we were able to get rid of ants easily, you wouldn't be here.

7. good point

8. Buy a bunch of peanut butter!!!! Then get an exterminator

9. Fire. Lots of it.

10. Sprayable bug killers are meant to be sprayed directly on the bugs. Otherwise it will act as a repellent. I believe there are some types of poisons made specifically for that purpose, though- ants are actually somewhat attracted to it as a food source, take it back to the colony to feed queen, larva, etc. and soon enough, no more ant problem.

11. Diatomaceous Earth is made up of the silicate shells of microscopic sea creatures called diatoms. With it's microscopic razor sharp edges, diatomaceous earth when spread in your garden or field physically kills and deters slugs without the use of harmful poisons.
    It can be dusted or sprayed as a control for most leaf eating insects and is used to deter slugs and snails.
    Natural DE makes a very effective natural insecticide. The insecticidal quality of DE is due to the razor sharp edges of the diatom remains. When DE comes in contact with the insects, the sharp edges lacerate the bugs' waxy exoskeleton and then the powdery DE absorbs the body fluids causing death from dehydration. Said more simply, DE kills insects by drying then up.

"FYI": Diatomaceous Earth sold for swimming pool filters is dangerous to human health, your pets and Livestock. It has been chemically treated and heated to change it's composition.

Want to control fleas from the ground up on your property? I'm sure you do. Nematodes applied to the lawn and yard area kill flea larvae in the soil. Stop the Breeding cycle at the source. Click here to read up on them and order if you like.

"Cat fleas (Ctenocephalides felis)" are the most common fleas found on both cats and dogs. Flea eggs and adult feces fall off the host and accumulate where the pet rests, making these the prime flea breeding foci.

Flea breeding in these areas can be reduced by establishing one clean sleeping area for the pet, choosing an area that can be cleaned easily on a regular basis, and using bedding material that can be laundered weekly or thrown away often if necessary. If human flea allergy is the cause of the complaint, pets should be excluded from areas of the house frequented by the person(s), or keep the people out of where the animal lives. That's my preference anyway (stay out of my room, I'll stay out of yours!). After all, which came first, the dog or the person?

Vacuuming flea breeding areas is also beneficial. Byron and Robinson (1986) found that a beater-bar vacuum would remove 15-27% of larvae introduced into a carpet and 32-59% of the eggs. In addition to removing the juvenile stages, vacuuming will also remove adult flea feces, the essential food source for the developing larvae. Pupae appear to be unaffected by vacuuming, because their silk cocoons are tightly bound to carpet fibers. The DE will help in this regard. Attachments should be used to vacuum cracks, crevices, and upholstered furniture where pets rest. Vacuuming alone will not remove the entire flea population but will help keep them reduced. The steam-extraction carpet cleaning method should effectively destroy all stages of fleas present.

Combing the pet with a flea comb is an effective but time-consuming method of controlling fleas on pets, but, most of us really like it. It makes me want to scratch my belly and pretend I'm running when I'm laying down, if you do it right!

It is most effective on cats, especially since cats do not normally tolerate baths. Fleas removed with the comb should be disposed of by dropping them in soapy water (Olkowski et al. 1983). Our experiences have shown that many cats find combing enjoyable. (Especially if you give the cat treats afterwards!)"

By the way... If you'd like to treat your dog to some organic, wholesome dog bones, we have them on the shelf over here. Check them out!

They passed the Rigourous Angel Taste Test!Diatomaceous Earth (food grade): bug killer you can eat!

Diatomacious Earth (often referred to as "DE") is an off white talc-like powder that is the fossilized remains of marine phytoplankton. When sprinkled on a bug that has an exoskeleton (such as bed bugs, ants or fleas) it gets caught between their little exoskeleton joints. As they move, the diatomaceous earth acts like razor blades and cuts them up. But it doesn't hurt mammals. We can eat it. We do eat it! It's in lots of grain based foods because lots of grains are stored with diatomaceous earth to keep the bugs from eating the grain!

Die bugs! Die! Die! Die!
    I have heard two explanations of how diatomaceous earth works.

One is that on a microscopic level, the diatomaceous earth particles are very sharp looking. These particles stick to an insect and get stuck between its exoskeleton joints. As the insect moves, it gets physically cut up.

The other explanation is that diatomaceous earth sticks to the insect and somehow causes them to dry out. I think this approach involves scratching the insects waxy layer which then allows precious moisture within the insect to get out. So their teeny tiny bug-innards turn into teeny tiny bug-innards-jerky.

A reader, Sue, in Washington state writes:

Both are true and connected. DE is almost pure silica (with some beneficial trace minerals); under a microscope, it looks like shards of glass (glass is made from silica). On any beetle-type insect that has a carapace, like fleas and cockroaches, the DE works under the shell and punctures the body, which then dehydrates and the insect dies. DE is totally nontoxic. There is no buildup of tolerance like there is to poisons because the method of killing is PHYSICAL, not chemical.

The important thing to us is that if an insect with an exoskeleton gets diatomaceous earth on them, they die. At the same time, we can rub it all over our skin, rub it in our hair, eat it .... whatever ... and we are unharmed.

Diatomaceous earth kills all bugs. It has been reported to be the most effective solution when fighting pests like fleas, ants and bed bugs.

Farmers dump food grade diatomaceous earth by big scoops in with grains when the grains are stored. It kills the insects that want to feast on the grain. This is a great improvement over the stuff they used to put in with the grain.

Farmers feed gobs of diatomaceous earth (food grade) to animals in the hopes that it will cure whatever ails them. Many farmers swear that the stuff kills all sorts of worms in their critters.

Many people eat a quarter cup of food grade diatomaceous earth every day. They mix it into juice. I have visited with several people that are keen on living past 100 years that believe that eating lots diatomaceous earth every day will help them with that goal. I have found references where it is cited for colon cleansing, parasite control and detox.

One strange thing about diatomaceous earth is that for it to work on killing bugs, you have to keep it dry. Even morning dew can make diatomaceous earth ineffective.

I have encountered over a dozen ignorant boobs that have proclaimed "Diatomaceous Earth does NOT work!" I have read this statement in all caps. In extra big fonts. With italics. And I've even had it screamed at me. I'm gonna stick with "ignorant boobs". On closer inspection of each case there is always a flaw. Usually the problem is that it was not used correctly. Diatomaceous earth is not a bait. If you put a little bit in a pile somewhere, the bugs are not drawn to it and invite all their friends. I kinda wonder if the pesticide companies pay people to go to internet forums and say this sort of thing. Diatomaceous earth is super cheap, non toxic, and generally more effective than anything the pesticide companies have to offer - so it kinda cuts into their profit margins a bit. I've been meaning to create an experiment to set the record straight on this topic, but a participant in the diatomaceous earth discussion, Stephanie, beat me to it:

I tried my own experiment with the diatomaceous earth to see how quickly it kills the fleas; I caught a few fleas and put them in a jar with a pinch of diatomaceous earth - all were dead within just a couple of hours.

It just doesn't get any more clear than that.

My Wiggles
    Cutest boy dog in the whole world !

12. so i finaly seem to have solved my problem

my ant count is down to about a hundered, and its mostly in my garrage.

In case anyone is curious how to get rid of ants, i mixes cheap syrup from wallmart, with 20 mule team borrax (boric acid) found in the laundry detergent section

My homemade 5$ pesticide completely rid me of ants (I hope)

I will put some more out to finish them off, and kill any potential new queens

13. Use mushrooms, the thread pertaining to how mushrooms will save the planet shows how it effects them.

14. I hate it when adult feces fall off my dog.

15. You can also put a lil bit of Murphy's Soap Oil mixed with water in a spray bottle. Spray them and it'll slowly eat away at them. If they digest it, it'll eat away from the inside too. I love ants, but if they become a pest, I'll kill them off. Last time I used the soap oil, I didn't see them for the rest of the season.

16. I think the best way to get rid of ants in your house is to keep all food sealed.

If most is locked up; you won't see many, not enough to bother you at least.