Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Can You Get Arrested For Driving High?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Stoneyhrm, Nov 11, 2010.

1. If you're eyes are bloodshot and you smell of weed after you smoked a blunt, but you were finished and threw it out the window after being done with it, and there is nothing in your car, could a cop detain you?

Just curious if they think you're high, there's really no test unless you're super blatantly out of it. If you can talk and focus on talking to the cop after you got pulled over for whatever (speeding, taillight out, etc), can the cop arrest/charge you for just smelling like weed and having red eyes? I know they could probably search your car but if you smoked a blunt and tossed it there would be nothing there.

Thanks.

2. You'll get a DUI.

3. Can you get arrested for driving drunk?

4. this.

5. :wave:

6. There are several tests that cops use to determine if you're high. They might do a horizontal nystagmus gaze test (follow the flashlight) which can (kinda) tell the cop if you're high by how your eyes react. They can do the "put your head backward and tell me when 30 secs has passed test, which works for alcohol or drugs because they distort your perception of time. Also, they can just arrest you under the suspicion of driving while intoxicated and take a blood test.

All of these lead to a DUI or DUID depending on the state you're in. Either way they are just as serious as a DUI and far easier to prove (by the prosecutor) because juries readily accept a police officer's determination that you are in fact impaired.

7. You can be arrested, you have the right to refuse any blood/urine test but will be charged with a felony. It is unconstitutional for the Police to make you take a blood test. I know it's happened to me before. ;)

8. All the more reason to use eyedrops and ozium!

But some of your replies are interesting, I didn't know about the blood tests. I always figured there was no roadside test for weed, like there is with alcohol (breathalyzer).

But honestly, the only way a cop would go the full 9 yards and arrest you and give you a blood test is if the cop was a complete asshole and you were driving like an idiot.

9. Just drive with care! happy tokin

10. #10 zigZag1n1/4, Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2010
    Short answer= Absolutely

the po-liece are trained to spot drivers under the influence of a variety of intoxicants, marijuana included. If you seem fucked up they may preform field sobriety tests. I believe they have some type of eye tracking test to determine if your high. Arrests for driving under the influence of marijuana are extremely rare.

The most important thing to remember if pulled over while high is to stay cool. If they dont smell marijuana, and you aren't acting strange, you should be good to go.

11. If got pulled over high for an expired registration and was sure I was going to get busted. My eyes were super red but the cop didn't even seem to notice. As long as you act chill you are usually ok..they want the money from the ticket without having to do a lot of work.

12. Well what if your eyes are red but nothing else?

13. You just have a better chance of being asked "have you boys been smoking some pot?"
    It's not a big jump but ANYTHING that has something to do with being stoned can get you introuble, even if your not high they will still try and figure out if you are (or if there pricks) just say your high.

14. It's easier to just keep all your papers in order (registration, insruance, ect.) and buy some eye drops before you hit the road. Just keep the eye drops out of sight in your car (I keep mine with my allergy meds), otherwise it's kind of a dead give away.