Can you gain muscle without supplements?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by exonmoble, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Just Eat a enough fat, carbs, and protein. Diet is key.

2. Yes, you can get ripped with 4kg dumbells, but you need to do more than just pushups when it comes to bodyweight training. Gyms are for suckas and professional athletes. Unless training is ur job, ur wasting money at a gym

3. I wouldn't call the gym a waste. If it's the only way someone will get off their ass and sweat, how is that a waste? Some people can't work out at home because they aren't motivated. I find that if I drive to the gym, I'm more likely to do a serious workout than the half-assed bullshit I'd pull at home.

I'd need a bowflex or similar.

4. lol gym is for suckers? maybe were your from on mars, sucker.

5. This is my workout remember i'm using 4kg dumbbells

7x7 Side lateral raises

7x7 frontal lifts arms straight (not sure of name)

10x7 Standing Dumbbell Curls

10x7 Standing Shrugs

4x7 sit-ups

10x5 push-ups

6. Sounds like you tha sucka, sucka. 99% of fitness goals can be achieved without the use of a gym, for free and with more fun than a boring gym.

And op if u wanna put on some muscle thatll pull bitches, u need to do some chinups, pullups, dips, squats, lunges, shoulder press, tricep extensions, handstand pushups (against the wall), dumbell flys, bent over rows... And coz ur dumbells are light as fuck u need to try and make your movements as explosive as possible.

7. Not everyone wants to buy a pull-up bar + weights + bench and all that bullshit bro. A $20 gym works wonders. We're not all trying to stuff our tiny fucking houses full of bullshit we probably won't use forever and will end up selling and nobody will ever buy the shit.

8. You can always go and get dumbells from a garage sale for $50. But what are you supposed to do when you get used to the weight you're lifting and need more weight? A $25 gym member ship would be the best since you wouldn't need to spend $2,000+ on proper equipment the gym has. I say if you have the money go buy everything the gym has and you will have it forever. Its not like your going to break iron weights lol.

9. I was paying $20 a month at my gym. I put in my 60 day notice today because I got a Groupon for a health club gym within walking distance of my apartment, literally 2 minute walk. $60 total for a 6 month membership. Usual cost = $40 a month = $240. And there's a sushi buffet next door on the way home LOL maybe I'll stop in after my workouts.

I fucking love Groupon.

10. What gym is it though? Some gyms are garbage lol. I used to go to golds gym a few years ago before buying all the weights myself.

11. I'm going to join my university gym at the end of this semester (2 weeks), it's $20 a month. I'm also going to stock up on protein shakes.

But i have on idea how to use the machines and i have no idea what kind of work-out i'm gonna do.

Do u think i can ask the people at the gym to give me basic starting routeen?

12. It's called Centrex. They've got free weights but they're the shitty kind that make a fuckton of noise if they hit each other. You know those gay weights I'm talking about. Oh well for $10 a month and not having to drive, it's worth it. And they have MMA/yoga types of classes for free if I want, and tons of treadmills and shit.

13. Stick with free weights and ditch the machines.

Beginner Weight Training Workout - Weight Lifting Guide

14. #34 fitftw, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2012
    I don't take protein powder anymore. I started this crap called Myobuild, it's got mad BCAA's and creatine. Good shit, jacks me the fuck up. I eat like 3 egg whites and 1 whole egg fried with baby spinach leaves using 0-calorie cooking spray for breakfast with a glass of skim milk and a banana and vitamin. I highly recommend this breakfast to anybody on a diet or lifting.

Cottage cheese or regular nonfat yogurt is high as fuck in protein too.

Lunch is usually whatever, half the time I don't eat between breakfast and dinner, that's part of my problem. I'm just not hungry. If I do eat lunch it's usually a lean pocket. Dinner is usually a salad with grilled chicken, maybe mashed potatoes or mac&cheese. I'd post a pic of myself but that's incriminating as fuck lol.

15. If you cant fit a pair of dumbells in your house maybe you should look for a bigger place. Most people have somewhere they can do pullups without having to buy a bar. And the dumbells wont cost much coz theres always someone selling their old ones they dont use, like u said. Theres no need to be a hostile fuckhead piece of shit, relax.

16. wait what? Where do you do pullups in your house without a pullup bar?

17. Let's be realistic though, 99% of people are not going to acheive their fitness goals at home... A gym provides me with everything you said and more. I do pushups, pullups, situps,chinups,etc at home, but that's not just my routine.

All the weights/weight sets I have found online are expensive as hell. I don't have the $ to invest in all that shit and neither do most people. Not to mention the fact that you also tend to move up and down in weight quite a bit, which just means spending more money.

I spend $20 a month at the YMCA and it's worth every penny. You can only gain so much muslce doing body weight exercises.

18. The bowflex is junk. Any cable exercise is junk lol. You have too much mechanical advantage with cable machines. Stick with Olympic style free weights. Bowflex is like $2,000+ right lol?

19. I PM'd a dude who made a different thread but I said the same thing, don't use machines. Too much stability already provided. Take for example the Fly Machine and free weight flys, MUCH harder than the machine.

20. #40 fitftw, Mar 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2012
    doesn't matter if it's harder. Increase the machine weight then, guarantee you'll max out before the machine does. I use machines for tricep press and preacher curl, and I also use the machine for squats because if I actually had to balance a bar across my shoulders with 45 or 90lbs on both sides, I'd kill my fucking self. Can't do regular bench press either. I can do dumbbell presses though with ~60-80lb weights.

And nobody else at my gym looks like a pothead. Not one other person. However, I bet they know that I am.