Can you change the color of your bud?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Inopus, Jun 8, 2006.

1. There is nothing you can do to the plant while it's growing to make it produce colored buds... they just come from certain varities.. and a lot of those varities need cold night time temperatures to change the plants blue/purple... the only thing you could do to artificially change the color would be to just use food coloring to dye the buds after you have harvested and after they have dried out. would test it on a little nug first to see how it works. pretty lame that you're trying to rip people off like that though... I don't think you'd be too happy if someone did that to you....

if it was just for fun, no big deal though....

2. Indica varieties will change color near maturation in the optimum temperatures, usually higher temperatures. Sativa varieties will change red near maturation in the right temperatures.

3. eighths over here run 30 to 35 bucks which isnt too bad, sometimes a gram can run 20 bucks but i usually get it for fifteen here. and taxen after changen the colors kinda shady lol

4. add a mercury vapor bulb and low temps should bring out some purple.
    dont expose your eyes or skin to mercury vapor bulbs!

5. why not look at the light from a MV?
    thats rediculous .... LMFAO
    unfortunately out door growers are a little more screwed here if their bud isnt one thats very colorful. unless the temps drop late in the season they wont be any more colorful than they were supposed to be...

6. why not look at the light from a MV?
    thats rediculous .... LMFAO
    unfortunately out door growers are a little more screwed here if their bud isnt one thats very colorful. unless the temps drop late in the season they wont be any more colorful than they were supposed to be

7. My buds are green with white bits. Nights are warm all through the growing season.

8. I live in Florida and eiths(3.5) go for $50 and $60 if taxed. As for the color changing there is a chemical that comes in a powder form I believe, you just mix it with the water and it will change the plant to all kinds of colors I think the colors arent predictable though. But I have seen the picture of the chemical online before.

9. i found this rally interesting, id like to try it also...so looked a bit and found this:
    http://www.madsci.org/experiments/archive/887562625.Bi.html
    i dn if this is what u were looking for but when u dry the bud u would put the stems in colored water...
    im going to continue looking and will update this thead as i find info;)

10. I still can't figure out why anyone would want to do this. I would pay more for bud that looked natural and had all its own rich colors than something dyed like an easter egg.

Having said that, it appears that the goal is to get colored bud even at the expense of bud quality. So why not after harvest just soak the buds for a few minutes in solutions of food coloring and water before hanging to dry? I don't advocate it but you might get your artificial color that way. Keep in mind that the dye color could interact with the natural color, so I doubt you could make bright purple or blue or yellow buds but rather would end up with darker brownish with streaks and highlights of artificial colors.

11. ya i dont think it would work well, it would prolly tast like shit...
    u can make purple\blue from cold weather but thats about it
    when i said i would like to try it i ment on a growing plant without many dissadvantages but by the looks of it thats not possible