Can you be friends with an ex?

Discussion in 'Sex, Love & Relationships' started by flo tinaway, Feb 7, 2012.

1. #1 flo tinaway, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2012
    Me and my most recent ex had an interesting relationship.. we always got along great but we just had a few things that ended up keeping us apart.. But its weird because we are such good friends even after she started talking to someone else... It made me feel like shit.. it still does even though i have started talking to someone else.. But the worst part is we live in the same dorm and we are Lab partners in a tough class.. she always says how i'm her best friend (no we dont fool around or anything anymore). Im beggining to think that she is holding me back from really moving on.. idk, what are your thoughts on being friends with an ex?

2. I have never been able to. It has always a few months down the road blown up in my face. I normally cut all contact with them and be civil in public if we share common class/places.

It depends on the terms of the break up really. But even then I still managed to get a few revengeful e-mails once they found out I was with someone else.

3. As long as its not awkward.

4. Don't do it.

I'm speaking from a lot of experience. No matter how much you wanna or think things will work out they won't. Best thing for both of you is to not talk anymore. That sucks you're lab partners though.

I'm sorry things didn't work out with her too man. I know the feeling and its not a good one

5. It isn't her that's holding you back, it's your unwillingness to completely get over her. Give it some time and you'll have moved on.

As for being friends with an ex, of course it's possible. As long as it wasn't a messy break and the two of you are mature enough to handle adult relationships, you should be fine.

6. #6 SniperKitty, Feb 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2012
    My high school sweetheart and I are best friends. We live in different States now but we still play video games online, he even went to my baby shower and spent a good amount of cash to get me and my fiance the tip of the line baby moniter, and we talk all the time on facebook. It doesn't have to be awkward if you don't two don't make it, and there isn't anything wrong with being friends with her if you really are over with the relationship and don't harbor feelings for her (or her for you) that's what will hold you back and make it awkward.

7. anytime my ex and i try and become friends, we end up fucking..

8. This is how I react when I'm at a party and I hear my Ex somewhere in the building.

[​IMG]

:laughing:

Seriously, though, I can easily hang out with about 90% of my Exes; it's those wayward, borderline restraining-order worthy women that tend to be a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I always translated girls still wanting to be friends as "please dont hate me." Even if i agree its not like we're really friends, we wont hang out or talk. So i always just cut all ties to them, its better to move on.

10. I know there are some people out there who can, but I personally can't. It just brings be back some unpleasant memories and reminds me how much of a bitch my ex actually is.

I prefer to cut all communications and isolate myself completely from her, like in a post nuclear war :cool:

11. It depends on the relationship , and if you guys were friends before .

But for me , hell fucking no !

12. I think you already know the answer friend and fellow blade. If she is causeing you this much stress than no you can't be. Plus when you start another relationship being friends with your ex ususally causes a problem. I say that you should try not talking to her for a while and if at a later time you don't like this anymore than go for it. Like I said just be cautious when introducing another special friend into the mix. Hope you find a good solution

13. I'm super good friends with my ex girlfriend, but we also didn't talk for a year and a half before becoming friends.

14. It's easier if you've had time apart from each other. I've heard of people being friends with their ex's, but it's usually not a "best friend" type of relationship. Seeing them is just going to stir up a bunch of really icky emotions, especially if they're with someone else.

I'm SORT OF friends with an ex now, but only because he lives in a different state and I've forbidden him from speaking about his girlfriend. We basically just chat every once in a while or go to each other to vent about our problems. It can be good to stay in contact with someone you've known for a while who knows you really well, but too much contact with them can be detrimental to your emotional growth.

15. I'm pretty good friends with my ex who I lost my virginity to & her to me, we hang out and talk alot still. It's not awkward at all, we both really need to bang tho so I think I'm going to soon hahaha

16. Hell yea.. Break up with her then dont talk for a month, then txt or sum sayin sumn nice but not needy. ex. "I understand the way you were acting" wait for her to reach out 2 you. Hang out like gf/bf but no title..

then sex her and her friends.

the difficulty of this is up there but you would be a supa pimp,, and technically your not breaking any code or law or rule or bs

my 2cents

17. I don't think this is true. Me and my exgirlfriend where together for 2+ years and still good friends now.

We see each other at least once a week and hangout plus talk/text multiple times a week. Both of us are in other relationships as well, we just don't have sex.

Honestly its one of the best things ever, Its a lot like Jerry and Elaine.

18. thanks for all the advice sorry i havent been on here in a while. Its been goin good though just bein friends / lab partners.. Sometimes I wish i could just hate her though. haha.. But I've been talkin to another girl lately and that has helped a ton. Im happy right now, cant really ask for much more.

Time to go load a bowl and watch some college basketball. :)