Can working in the cannabis industry hurt future career opportunities outside of the industry?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Business and Industry' started by TokinLiz, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Hello, I recently graduated from a state college with bachelor's degree in a broad field with limited jobs. I am currently pursing a Paralegal Certificate, in hopes of possibly using this knowledge in my future career. My wife has been interviewing with a large company, and if offered the position, we will be relocating to Colorado Springs. I've always been a cannabis advocate and see this as a great opportunity to get into an entry level position in the industry. Most people have complained about the lack of appropriate pay in this industry, but that is not an issue for me (being employed making minimum wage is way better than unemployed with a college degree). However, I am curious about whether this would impact future employment outside of the industry. Does anyone have any experience or know anyone who has worked in the cannabis industry, but decided to pursue something else?

2. This is a great question. Whether or not it would affect future opportunities would depend on a lot of factors, one being how accepting a future employer would be of your work history (and their general perception of the Medical MJ industry in general).

I think if you can find an opportunity with a company that has a good reputation, and you perform well there and develop strong business relationships, that this could help future opportunities, but again it would depend on what prospective employers you are looking at after working in the Medical MJ industry.

Generally, if your work should speak for itself and whether you're doing marketing or admin. work for a Medical MJ company versus some other type of company, it shouldn't make much of a difference as long as you can get good recommendations and seem competent for the position you are then applying to. (NOTE: I don't have personal experience with this scenario, this is my opinion only)

3. You made two threads?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk