Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Can weed cause depression?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by HippieTrippyBudGirl, Aug 11, 2011.

1. I noticed your a girl could it be the red tide starting to set in? haha

2. In my expereince (having had like 3 different bi-polar girlfreinds)your fuckin crazy
    and should stay away from drugs and alcohol totally, and take your meds
    AND BACK AWAY WITH THAT BIG ASS KNIFE!-oh sorry, flashback.

3. #23 d3thk0r3, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Yeah.. People with disorders such as these should definitely stay away from all substances unless they are prescribed. This is the only time I'd take manmade drugs over marijuana..

4. Consistency is the answer. Stopping and starting meds will almost always trigger a bout of depression or mania. Just try to do things that make you happy and smoke a lot of pot, listen to good music, spend time with people that care about you and get good sleep. ^.^

5. Coming off of meds made for mood disorders will usually make you feel more depressed. However, if you stay off of them, and stick to cannabis, you will find yourself in a better place emotionally. Marijuana actually aids in the production of serotonin, naturally.

6. Hi hon, I'm not really bi-polar, but my Mom was- I'm just "a bit moody". :cool:

I am going to fill you in on some of the latest medical studies. But first some basic biology.

On the surface of your cells are chemical receptors- think of them like a car's ignition switch. A molecule of the right sort fits in them like a key and "turns on" some action. This action can be almost anything, from killing a cancer cell, to keeping food moving in your guts, to protecting a brain cell from damage, to making you feel "normal" and also some, the CB1 receptors, also get you high! :smoking:

Every time a cell divides, it makes two new cells and they have to make more "skin" to grow back to normal size. New receptors have to be made and here is where the problems start!

Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endocannabinoid-mediated neuronal functions. (abst – 2011) Nutritional omega-3 deficiency abolishes endocanna... [Nat Neurosci. 2011] - PubMed result

That abstract tells how if you don't get enough Omega 3 in your diet, the CB1 receptors (and likely other types) are made wrong! A chunk called a G i/o effector protein is supposed to be attached and it's left flopping free! :eek: What has happened is that your body, lacking the Omega 3 it needed, stuck in an Omega 6 (overly plentiful in western diets), which almost works. :(

If this happens to your body's CB1 receptors, this can leave you open to some cancers, Huntington's and Parkinson's. With your brain's CB1 receptors, you are prone to depression and other mental illnesses. A big drop in working CB1 receptors is found in all of them!

So what I hope you will do is start taking Omega 3 just as an experiment. Take a double dose every day for a month. This isn't a quick fix- that month is needed for enough new CB1s to be made to make a difference.

How Long Before Fish Oil Works on Depression to Lift Your Mood? [FONT=&quot]How Long Before Fish Oil Works on Depression to Lift Your Mood?[/FONT]

In addition to lifting your mood, CB1s are also responsible for getting you high! It would seem logical that more CB1s in your brain would result in a better high! :smoking:

This theory of mine is supported by an article that says large doses of cannabis can worsen your mood. They are half-way right! :eek:

Cannabis: Potent Anti-Depressant In Low Doses, Worsens Depression At High Doses (news - 2007) Cannabis: Potent Anti-depressant In Low Doses, Worsens Depression At High Doses

The problem lies in that you don't get enough Omega 3 and the new brain cells are made defectively. And cannabis stimulates the production of brain cells!

Marijuana might cause new cell growth in the brain (news – 2005)
    [FONT=&quot]Marijuana might cause new cell growth in the brain - health - 13 October 2005 - New Scientist[/FONT]

So you get all these half-assed brain cells made without Omega 3 and your depression worsens! A smaller amount of pot and the production slows, and your body (hopefully) has enough Omega 3 for their receptors to be made right.

Our bodies like between 3 and 4 parts of Omega 6 to every 1 part Omega 3. Our "American diet" can give us up to 50 parts Omega 6 to one part Omega 3! And our CB1 receptors are "broken" because of it! The writers in the abstract think this is why the industrialized nations are so crazy! Our diet is doing us in!

Good sources of Omega 3 are fish oil, and flax or hemp seed oil. And take a good, hard look at your diet, hon! Skip the junk and concentrate on whole foods! And a few extra "B" vitamins won't hurt! A "B" vitamin deficiency has been tied to some types of depression.

Granny :wave:

7. Anything can cause depression. But in terms of it's Chemical properties it can't

8. Okay seriously Weed is great and all, but it really can cause depression in certain people..it's good and all you people defend the weed, but it affects different people different ways.

9. It's like a cult following rule number 1 you don't diss weed.

10. It depends on the weed I'd imagine. With super indica-y weed I get inside of my own head and it makes me more depressed during my high. But saliva strains make me forget everything.

However coming down always makes me feel depressed. I suggest to just fight it with a more healthy lifestyle. By all means continue smoking weed but balance it with a healthy lifestyle. Excersize, eat heathly (I know it's hard to when you're stoned) and get lots of sunshine!! It boosts your seratonin. One of the major chemicals in the brain responsible for your emotional response to your surroundings. I bought a happy light and sit next to it 30 minutes a day and it actually helps haha.

11. #31 d3thk0r3, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    I hope you don't really mean "saliva" strains.. I shiver at the thought of my weed being covered in spit.

12. It makes me depressed if I smoke everyday. I get super introspective and start thinking weird and negative thoughts about myself. That's why I like to take breaks between my toking sessions. I smoke a bowl or 2 every now and then and the highs are way better.

13. Haha no sativa. IPhone autocorrect... Didn't catch it.

14. I'm personally actually using weed to combat major depression, but from what I've read, you have to be careful with dosage because too much weed can exacerbate depression, but in small amounts it is actually helpful. Everyone's body is different, though, so what might be fine for me might be too much or too little for someone else.

I'd say that if you've tried everything and your depression is still bothering you, maybe you might consider cutting back a bit on the weed to see if you begin to feel better. I hope you find the right dose level for you that will make you feel what I feel, which is more relaxed, hopeful, and motivated. :)

15. too much of everything/anything can cause depressions...seriously

16. Well, I'm pretty sure too much exercise and healthy eating can't cause depression, unless maybe your like exercising every second of the day and get so tired out and so sore that you can't move, or you eat so much salad that you get over stuffed and puke, but that the most extreme case :laughing: And even then, you probably would not be depressed :laughing: haha, ODing on healthiness :D:laughing:

17. Weed makes you happy. I think it's just the burnt out feeling that can make you feel like you are depressed. I don't think it causes depression, though.