Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Can weed cause a heart attack?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by dahypeboi08, Apr 22, 2010.

1. #21 paleolith, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2013
    A heart attack, also known as a myocardial infarction, or a STEMI (ST-wave elevation myocardial infarction, if you want to get into ACLS), is when a blood clot in the artery breaks off and becomes lodged in the coronary artery, or any other blood vessel leading directly to the heart. The heart looses oxygen, and it's muscle cells begin to die (hence the elevated ST waves seen on an electrocardiograph.

That blood clot, in the first place, is caused by inflamed blood vessel walls becoming hardened and cracking open. The body responds by sending LDL (low density lipoproteins) to patch it up with cholesterol, saving the day. But if you have to much of a certain type of LDL, VLDL (very low density lipoproteins), they can become oxidized and enter the inflamed vessel walls and that results in the plaque build up. Clots form, and have the potential to break off.

So, no... I doubt that marijuana would likely cause a heart attack.

2. Ok, I just read the article posted earlier in this thread... That is some seriously unscientific bullshit. It's based on observational data, which means they don't set controls in order to rule out possible confounding factors.

That whole article is bullshit.

3. Exactly.

In fact, I'm willing to bet that you'll find more stories of 45-year old health nuts running marathons every weekend suddenly falling over dead from a heart attack than you will hear of stories of the random heart attack victim that happened to test positive for THC.

4. Marijuana definitely increases your heart rate, especially added with paranoia and the fact of thinking about it. There's a substantial amount of people that have existing/pre-existing heart conditions, murmors, and congenital heart defects (many of times, the person doesn't even know). I am someone that doesn't have any heart defects (that I know of), but I still have come close to feeling unsafe because my heart is beating so fast (when my tolerance is low). I'm sure there's been issues with people that have heart complications due to weed.

• Like Like x 1

5. If your heart ain't thumpin in your throat makin you think you're havin heart troubles-- you ain't high in my book. :smoking:

6. you should ask for a couple dr's opinions on this if it really worries you. because of confidentiality, dr's won't go to the police to tell them that you smoke weed. that isn't their responsibility. their job is to do what they can to keep you healthy.

7. I doubt that the effects of cannabis on the cardiovascular system is part of a physician's training.

Maybe a pathologist, but that's even a longshot, unless they specifically studied it.

8. This is the same person that said they paid $35 for a gram of weed.

9. Musta been some good pot.

10. Talking trash?

You paid $70 for 2 grams of weed, yet think you got a deal because you think it's better bud than anyone else has gotten here. You're bragging that you got ripped off? :confused:

11. I never said it was better bud than anyone else has gotten here. I said it was exceptionally GOOD. and actually the best bud that I myself had ever personally gotten.

I never spoke for anyone other than myself.
    I leave that to all you haters.

And yeah I paid $70 for 2 grams. But like I said. It was a perfectly spherical nug ball (seed and stem free 100%) that broke up like cotton and you could smell it thru a baggie, a mason jar, and 2 walls.

I don't care if you can't conceive it.

There's enough Real mofokas out there that know I don't be bullshittin.

12. If he was happy with what he bought, so be it.

And you were kinda talking trash, albiet subtly.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I see I got lost in translation lol. I meant talk to a dr because some underlying health causes can make a person more likely than others to have a heart attack. i assumed since op is specifically worried about possible heart attacks then they have a reason to be.

i doubt that many studies have been done on the effects weed has on heart health haha :D but that would be interesting to know

14. Would my five heart attacks count as expert knowledge?
    If it does you might be interested in what my heart Docs have to say about Cannabis use.

No smoking of anything!!!
    However, Vapping and eatables are fine.

15. I've had a life attack while smoking

Them flowers
    shak'n me up
    zay'n
    whaaht da fuk
    you be do'n
    wid yor life

16. #37 TinTizzy, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2013
    I smoked for 8yrs with dilated cardiomyopathy and a 20% ejection fraction..never had a heart attack or any complications and got regular checkups which were always fine..i would avoid sativas though so my heart wouldnt get racy

17. Thank you Granny!

That means a lot coming from you.

18. When you smoke ANYTHING, carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide are released, and they can set off a heart attack! :eek:

However, cannabis itself has protective effects on the heart! :love:

Lab Notes: Pot Has Benefits for Diabetic Hearts (news - 2010) Lab Notes: Pot Has Benefits for Diabetic Hearts

Cannabidiol (CBD) as an Anti-Arrhythmic – the Role of the CB1 Receptors
    (news – 2010)
    Cannabidiol (CBD) as an Anti-Arrhythmic

Pot Compound Mitigates Diabetic Cardiomyopathy (news - 2010) Pot Compound Mitigates Diabetic Cardiomyopathy

The potential for clinical use of cannabinoids in treatment of cardiovascular diseases.
    [FONT=&quot](full – 2011) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The Potential for Clinical Use of Cannabinoids in Treatment of Cardiovascular Diseases - Durst - 2010 - Cardiovascular Therapeutics - Wiley Online Library

[/FONT] Cannabinoid-2 Receptor Activation Protects against Infarct and Ischemia/Reperfusion Heart Injury. (abst – 2011) Cannabinoid-2 receptor activation pro... [J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Granny :wave:

19. I had a heart attack yesterday after smoking weed for the 7th time my whole life