Can we all unanimously agree that the NYC ban of smoking on government owned property

Discussion in 'Politics' started by NasaJoe, May 23, 2011.

1. Can we all unanimously agree that the NYC ban of smoking on government owned property was a step in the right direction in regards to protecting your civil liberty of the right to clean air? RP seems to really respect personal liberties such as the right to clean air and water.. what do you think?

New York City outdoor smoking ban begins - CNN.com

2. Indoor? Sure.

Outdoor? Meh.

3. I'd like to add to think twice about city living parks / beaches. Traffic is heavy, many people need to use these things and they can get crowded.

4. donno about clean air..

but the govt has every right to ban smoking on their own property for sure..

5. Fuck you America...

It will eventually find its way here...:(

Wankers...

6. #6 garrison68, May 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2011
    As a New Yorker I approve.

We go to the parks and beaches to get fresh air, not to be bombarded with tobacco smoke. Same thing goes for weed, in the event that it's ever totally legalized it's use should be limited to homes, coffee shops and private property just like it is in Holland. Edibles are another matter, they can't really regulate that except maybe for motor vehicle operation.

7. Just another example of the majority ruling the minority.

8. whatever helps you sleep at night i guess.. Im guessing you're part of the "minority"?

9. Sooner or later (my pessimism limits me to a minimum of at least a century) we'll be able to, yet again, rely on the honor system, whereby someone will say, "Could you put that out?" and the other party will respond by either moving away or politely following their request.

We don't live in this world, so I digress.

I'm all for what August is saying: if it's their property, they can do as they please. If someone is smoking in my house and I ask them to step outside, I would expect them to follow suit without much fuss.

10. Why must I be forced to breathe something that I do not like, and risk getting emphysema, cancer, heart disease and other ailments, just because a group of people are too weak to live without inhaling nicotine into their bodies every single place they go?

11. I smoke and I think it' a good idea.
    Anyone who smokes - stop for 3 days and then smell someone smoking.
    That's what it smells like all the time for non smokers.

12. Is this the nicotine talking? :p

13. I agree, I use to smoke from the time I was 15 to 20, now I cant stand the smell of smoke since I quit. I now feel bad for all the times I use to smoke inside my college house with other roommates. I was an inconsiderate ass.

14. #14 J-DILLA, May 24, 2011
    Last edited: May 24, 2011
    Do you drive an emission-emitting vehicle or smoke weed in public spaces?

Please dude, I read enough stories about weed on this forum about that....."Man, I need weed to help me deal with social situations"...............

15. No, I don't smoke cigarettes.

but the world doesn't revolve around 1 group of people, so anyone that thinks its "their" earth and that no one should be allowed to fuck up "their" air, can fuck off.

16. The irony is that those people drive cars and pollute the air as well..

17. #17 NasaJoe, May 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2011
    well theres no arguing that sound logic so :wave:

Anyone with half a brain can figure out that ass backwards logic of your statements, I wont even waste my time.

18. I do not smoke weed in public places and I do not own a car or drive, I don't have to drive in New York City because there is public transportation. I understand that many people elsewhere need a car, I may get one myself if I move away -but there's still too many cars, and I think that this should be addressed as well - not only to reduce pollution but to make the vehicles more efficient and lessen our dependence on foreign oil.

19. Except you know you're not forced, just go somewhere else. Especially since you walk everywhere and live in freaking NYC. Is your little bubble not big enough?

20. absolutely silly