Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Can vaping cause a heart attack?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Crackhead420, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Ok so the quote below is what happens, anyway is this true? I recon it could be cause of the actual smoke however weed does increase your heart rate, this is quite worrying, anyone knows whether this applies to vaping as well or if its actually true, all this time I thought vaping/edibles were harmless!

"Impact on the heart: The THC in pot passes into the bloodstream from the lungs (if smoked) or digestive tract (if eaten). It then flows to the brain and other organs throughout the body. When smoked, it is absorbed more rapidly than when ingested through food or drink, but either way it can increase the heart rate by 20-100 % and remain raised for up to three hours. According to one study reported by The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), "it was estimated that marijuana users have a 4.8-fold increase in the risk of heart attack in the first hour after smoking the drug, " While this risk may increase with age and depend on cardiac vulnerability, marijuana has been shown to lead to heart irregularities, palpitations and arrhythmias."

2. No no no no no no no no no no no no no weed wont kill you. This is a great way to freak yourself out get high google ways weed will kill you lol.

3. thats bs man. Have you actually measured your heart rate pre smoke and after smoke? Well, I have. One of my good friends is an RN and we wanted to see what happened and nothing! No blood pressure increase heart rate incline nothing!
    You will be okay man thats all crap

4. Love me some heart palpitations.

5. Weed does speed your heartrate up, and I'm sure people who already have heart issues would be prone to a heart attack. I doubt the drug itself could do it, though.

6. did you know that breathing can alter your heart palpitations?

7. To the guy who said he tested it out, you sure? And ah thanks everyone

8. Going for a brisk walk speeds up my heart rate more than cannabis does... so am I 5x more likely to have a heart attack while walking quickly? 

9. My heart rate one time with zero tolerance and dank saliva went to I think it was like 140 while just sitting around. Usually it's like 70-90 resting ". So if I had 100% sativa and vaped like an ounce with no tolerance I guess it's plausible I could start having strain on my heart. Now I have no idea if this is true or if any idiot would try, but I think it's very unlikely you would die from any amount of weed. And a little raise in heart rate doesn't do anything for the usual toke.

10. I remember when i used to freak out about my heart the first few times i smoked weed. Personally, mine does start beating fast but if i'm paranoid, but just by being high i don't. But its the same, even when sober. If you get scared your heart'll beat faster. So i'd say if you were to get that heart attack while high then you'd be just as likely to get it sober. Plus, when you're high you think your heartbeat is 10x faster than it really is.

11. #12 CRAZYKID423, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2013
    well there are definitely other factors! Im a normal user, and have a strong heart. the danger zone for heart attack is 180bpm. and the only drug that will generally get your heart beating that fast is coke, and thats after a period of exercise. now to take into consideration a persons breathing pattern, tolerance, heart condition, and mental state could change this. But generally marijuana wont increase your risk of heart attack assuming your not consuming any other substances, and are healthy.

Also take into consideration, weed can give you body highs. This can in turn make you feel your heart beat more than average, making you think its faster than it really is.

But I'm not a nurse or doctor, so if anyone who's more knowledgeable than I about this can prove me wrong I wouldn't argue.

12. I used to get paranoid about it, Now i think about the people that run marathons for hours, are they at a higher risk ? maybe but they encourage running so.....

13. 1. its from the NIDA , any government institution that tries to go against something will do anything they can to make it sound worse, that 4.8 risk is probably bullshit that they came up with out of their ass and with some poor clinical trail that was probably majorly flawed. 2. Still zero recorded deaths of weed, that alone should be more than enough to convince yourself, your heart will go up at first but will then return to normal in approximately no more than 20 minutes (usually a lot sooner), ur fine dude dont worry

14. #15 OneOfTheGoodOnes, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
    Not according to my heart Docs. In fact all 3 of them say that as long as I vape, or use eatables, to continue as there are some studys that are finding that Cannabis will help the heart heal after a heart attack.

Check with Granny Storm Crow for her MMJ links. I know she has at least one on how Cannabis helps after heart attacks.

Can it? I was born with a heart murmur, but.. it went away? Had an increase in palpitations while I was on an SSRI, but also happens sometimes after smoking. Very uncomfortable.

16. Yeah man. Just by breathing(even thinking) you can stress you heart to be quicker, or slower.

Dude it's not a big of a deal, even by quickly standing up or sprinting 5 feet it will change your heartrate.

Weed does alter your heartbeat, and can make it faster. But it doesn't mean you are going to die. If I get too high i can feel my heartbeat. But then again if I focus i can do that too.
    Weed is a dilator so your bloodstream and veins to dilate, as well as your respiratory system.

Don't sweat it hombre you're good. (you and OP)

I'm not stressing, fast heart rate and palpitation are different for me. I get palpitations from time to time, if I smoke too much it makes it worse. Will beat very irregular and very hard for a couple of seconds, little scary but more uncomfortable than anything else.

18. This is one of the funniest things I've read all day :smoking:

19. anything that raises heart rate or blood pressure which marijuana can do, will make you more prone to heart attacks.   but so will walking, running, medications, your diet, the time of day, stress, and probably a million other things.  im saying its nothing to worry about.