Can u clone a plant that is half way through flowering?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by keef1986, Jun 30, 2012.

1. I was wondering if it is do-able to clone a female that is about 4 weeks into flowering already. I tried some first time cloning while she was still in veg but due to inexperience, they didn't make it. I think I know where i went wrong, but i HAVE A PLANT THAT i WOULD REally like to keep going.

2. Yes you can,but the clone could be stunted for a month or so

3. It's really much more difficult to root a flowering plant, so if you had trouble in veg I wouldn't count in success in flower. But it's worth a shot. Some strains are easy to clone and you might have one of them. I cloned my C99 in flower and it worked wonderfully. It took a few weeks to start growing at a normal rate, but once it did it became super branchy and beautiful.

A few words of advise, don't keep the cloning area to moist or too warm because mold is a bush concern. Just spray the lid of the dome....not the clones themselves. Besides that jus be patient. Don't even bother checking for roots for the first couple weeks. It will take a while and the more you mess with them the more you will lose.

4. #4 MIDLIFE, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2012
    also when you harvest , leave the bottom 6/10 inches intact ie don't clean anything off at all even the popcorn buds and you can put the plant back into veg , 24 hours of light for a week then onto 18/6.
    the new growth will come out of the buds you left on the plant.

it can take a month + to get new growth, and some new leaves may come out all mutant like but don't worry it will be ok in the end.

DO NOT RELY ON THIS WORKING 100% as i put two plant into reveg and only one worked out.
    pics of the reveged plant on page 9 in the link below.
    good luck
    HTH
    middy

5. #5 Olde School, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2012
    Keef, Cloning during flowering can be difficult, as MJMama says so wisely. Good advice here already, but here's one more option. Air cloning, or layering, can help solve this.

Take a rockwool cube and cut it down to approx. 1" square by 1 & 1/2" long and split it down the middle ( long way), halfway through. Soak in pH balanced water overnight, dump the water, flush again with pH'ed water.
    Select a side branch with a couple of nodes between the tip of the branch and the main trunk. Cut the leaves off the 2nd node back from the branch tip. Use a single edge razor blade to cut into the stem vertically (following the branch) from 1/4" above the node to 1/4" below the node. Don't go all the way through, just into the soft inner material of the branch. Use a toothpick sterilized with isopropyl alcohol to pry the cut open, and apply rooting hormone. I like gel because you can use another toothpick to "paint" the cut. Open the split in the rockwool cube, apply a little more rooting hormone, and place this around the sliced node.
    Cut open a plastic sandwich bag and trim it into a sheet so that it can be wrapped around the rockwool cube a couple of times, and extend below and above the cube. Poke a bunch of holes in the bag material with a pin. Wrap the bag around the cube / branch, and secure the lower end of the bag snugly to the branch with gauze tape (holds well but can pretty easily be removed later). Secure the other end of the bag (toward the tip with a twist tie, much more loosely. You will need to open this end later to water.

You may need to tie this up to an upper branch if the weight is too much. I also like to cut a strip of black plastic to drape over the air layer bag, helps keep light away while roots form. Check the cube every couple of days, it needs to be damp but not dripping wet / saturated. Within two to three weeks, you should be able to see roots coming through the rockwool. As soon as you see this, cut the branch below the rockwool cube and transplant it as you would any clone.
    The cutting will still be in flower, so you will have to re-veg it for several weeks as others mentioned above.

I've used this trick a couple of times over the years & it's never failed me. Sounds a lot more complicated than it really is. And, since the plant still has it's own internal life support, it's much more likely to root. Next time I'd like to try it with a rapid rooter plug instead of rockwool; I think it's a better all around medium and much easier to gauge by the color when it needs water. And they don't make your fingers itch.

Hope this helps & bestaluck to ya.

6. thanx for the insight, very much appreciated.

7. Yup everyone pretty much nailed it.. If you want to see the potential plant you could get out of a re vegged flowering clone google monster cropping. Its just re vegging a clone taken 3-4 weeks into flower. You can get a serious monster plant off of it, hence the name. Growth will be amazing compared to the mother after it starts vegging again.