Can too much of a good thing be bad??

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by bpdrumz, May 10, 2016.

1. Ok. Hello everyone! I have a question for you experienced growers. I have an indica strain that has been in the vegetative stage for a very short time and it's a beast! The nodes are less than 3/4 of an inch from each other and growing like wildfire. It's too the point that in a day or two all the inter nodal growth will just grow into each other. Should I just let it grow or do I need to train or prune? The branches aren't long enough to tie down yet so the only way to make room is too cut stuff off and I really don't want to unless I have to. Any advice will be applied and appreciated.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. It all depends on your space and lights...

You train the plant to your needs

3. So how would you train this plant? It is in a 3'x3'x6' area with a 600 watt light.

4. Look into

Scrog
    Lst
    Super cropping

5. Thanks a lot!

6. Look at my grow in my signature. Day 15 is before defoliation and you can see the difference. I usually scrog, didn't on this grow, tried a more bonsai approach and I liked it, trimming canopy leaves to open up to let light through to the new growth shoots

Mr.Nice's Indoor LED/CFL Grow

7. By pruning the fan leaves your new growths will shoot up and even out with the canopy, increasing yield and shaping your plant how you want. As apposed to it growing straight up

8. Should I cut off the entire fan leaf or just cut a little off the blades? I have so many big fan leaves that it would probably harm the plant if I took them completely off. I may be wrong though.

10. image.jpeg

Attached Files:

11. image.jpeg

Attached Files:

12. Sorry. I am new at this so I am messing some replies up. Lol. I really appreciate you guys helping me.

13. The bigger initial fan leaves are there to absorb energy so the new growth shoot above the fan leave will grow, once the growth shoot has started you remove the bigger initial fan leaf above it so the growth shoot can now have ample light.

14. Do you think the long bottom bud sites would eventually grow out from under the fan leaves and start growing up instead of out?

15. From like the second node up yes, but anything underneath is a waste of energy. Small popcorn nugs at best.... wasted energy, by pruning you direct energy to shoots that will produce good buds

16. So it's like you just eliminate a step by cutting them off? That makes sense instead of waiting and hoping that they will outgrow the fan leaves. I just thought if I left it alone and maybe tied the new bud site down that it would grow sideways and after it grew out from under the fan leaf, it would start growing upward. It makes sense to cut the fan leaf and make it start growing upward faster. Thanks man! You have cleared up a lot of confusion!

17. If you look on this one, by cutting the fan leaf blocking it, my very first growth shoots on the first node were able to grow up to the rest of the canopy, like you were saying

[​IMG]

18. Yeah, once the new growth shoot has started, the initial fan leaf isn't doing anything except promoting upwards growth with you don't necessarily want, you want outward growth.