Can this spotted seedling be saved?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by eoe, Sep 16, 2021.

1. She’s in a grow tent and less than a week old. Watered very little only once. Temp stays between 79-83 degrees. Humidity fluctuates between 50 and 65%. Planted in solo cup with plain potting soil, no nutrients. This is my first grow. HELP! Is she a goner already? What the heck could have happened?

Attached Files:

2. Medium too hot. Prepare a small pot - half that size - with 75% peat moss / 25% worm cast soil. Take a dessert spoon and carefully remove it with its rootball, which will be tiny. VERY carefully rinse off most of the medium from the roots. Make a pit in the new medium and soak it with water making a pool in the pit. Lower the seedling into the pit and as the water drains, gradually fill the pit with new medium. If it recovers in a day or two just grow normally until the plant is established and THEN use your hot medium. (Which, by the way, looks like crap made of unrotted wood chips and similar acidic garbage.)

3. extract wash roots under tepid(air temp) tap water and reinsert to a good quality mix
    do it days end so she recovers overnight in the dark
    seedlings are tougher than most think

good luck

ps or start again as the delay will disappoint

4. Really. Per seed company instructions, she was planted in a plain potting soil. Not a mix. Won't a mix, with added nutrients, be too strong?

5. Just water it. It should snap out of it. I would not try to take it out of its soil. That thing has a 4-6'' tap root by now. It does look like there is an excessive amount of wood chips in that soil, I'd go with a different brand when you transplant to a bigger pot.

6. Absolutely. Got a big, expensive bag of Fox Farm Ocean Forest potting soil waiting in the wings. Just trying to get there.

7. FFOF is usually pretty cheap round here, about 15 bucks for 1.5 cubic foot bags. Youll want to add some more perlite to the FFOF for better drainage.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. #8 SinsemillaPassion, Sep 17, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    Looks like stress.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. You sure you dont want to stick to boron?

10. Moron

• Creative Creative x 1
  11. #11 SinsemillaPassion, Sep 17, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    Basically it just looks like shit soil. Too much bark going on etc. Conditions just aren't adequate here. Invest in better soil and a better, bigger pot to start her off in. She's gonna get more stressed longer you leave that poor girl in that cup of whatever muck that is.

However the newest smallest looking true leaves coming out look green and healthy.

Maybe the brown on either side of the biggest true leaves are scars from when she popped her seed off. Same sort of thing has happened to my White widow. She looks kinda brown on her first true leaves but that was just scaring off the seed shell being attached for too long and when it split open, the leaves scared.

You can either leave her a few days and see what the new leaves come out like or simply try and repot. Both ways may induce more stress. Next time research.

Theoretically she shouldn't have any deficiencys right now because she is simply too dam small, unless of course, the soil really is as poor as it looks.

I would blame the soil in this instance.