can they legally do this?

Discussion in 'General' started by rileyscool101, Feb 28, 2012.

1. #81 Dualified, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2012
    Where do you sign if you're going to a public school?

Well right now I'm getting the impression that OP is from a Private School, not a public school. Why?

Frazier v. Alexandre ruled that a 1942 state law requiring students to stand and recite the Pledge of Allegiance violates the First and Fourteenth Amendments of the U.S. Constitution. As a result of that decision, a Florida school district was ordered to pay $32,500 to a student who chose not to say the pledge and was ridiculed and called "unpatriotic" by a teacher.

Pretty sure that if you go to a Private School, you do sign a said paper...and you do have to recite...you don't have a choice in the matter. Don't like it? Go to a different school.

And to the guy I quoted, no, not every school in the country does it.

2. just try and have a logical debate with him about it when he isnt all pissed off about it... then try talking about nazi's and fascism, after all, you guys think you won that war for the good of the world and all the bullshit >.<

either that or just stand. depends how bad these 'consequences' are...

3. Just say it, save yourself the trouble

4. This is like telling Jews and blacks to accept oppression to not get the 'masters/dictators' mad. I think its fine to stand up for yourself and not bend over because others have.

I never said it either, there is no god and a lot of public HS is a joke in this country.

5. A lot of these idiots (or misinformed kids) die over money/power struggles, even religious, not our rights. Maybe the kid doesn't want to support the war loving aspect of America either, good for him.

Our rights have decreased since the war over seas, so how are they fighting for it?

6. [quote name='"Dutchmaster617"']This is like telling Jews and blacks to accept oppression to not get the 'masters/dictators' mad. I think its fine to stand up for yourself and not bend over because others have.[/quote]

Goodwin's Law... -_-

7. You know none of your little high school friends think your a "badass" for not standing up.

You are a loser, being difficult for no reason. Just stand up. If you don't want to physically say it, then don't, but stand up, at least give the impression of caring.

You will accomplish nothing by not saying it/standing up. Other then aggravating others and yourself. You don't like the phrase "under God".....well tough shit. I don't believe in god, but I still stood up for the pledge. the majority likes it, and its really not a big deal, so why be difficult?

The pledge is shit that you do in H.S., I mean I know the whole 15 sec of standing there in either silence or reciting the pledge probably realllllllly kills your day, but people have much worst problems then, "Oh Em Gee I don't like the Pledge of Allegiance"

This reminds me of the people who get all up in arms over "Merry Christmas".....The majority of the nation celebrates Christmas. Even if your Jewish/Muslim or anything, if your offended that someone would say that to you, you really do live a pathetic life.

Edit: I apologize if you take offense to this, but that is some petty shit. Really think about it.

8. It's your choice not to stand, but nobody likes a punk.

9. You should probably stand up during the pledge, but recite this version.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2BfqDUPL1I]The Whitest Kids U' Know - Pledge of Allegiance - YouTube[/ame]

10. Appalled at the number of people who advocate just standing to take it. And to think I risked my life for you ungrateful fucks. I wouldn't do it again, that's for sure.

11. pfffffwhaaa??ffffffffffffffftahahaha :smoke:

12. remember "and to the republic for which it stands"

It stands for the republic and principles that made and can still make our country greater. It doesn't stand for the current party in power. You can disagree all you want with the way our government has acted all this recent century, but don't deny the wholeness, and sincerity it was founded upon. Hate this country all you want. But if those few brilliant men hadn't congregated on that fateful day September 17th 1787.... Then this world for you would be more wicked then you could possibly fathom.

13. this has to be the most fucked up thread...

the people who oppose OP accuse him of not being patriotic, when by them not standing up for themselves and what they beloved in makes them the least patriotic of us all

its not patriotic when someone forces something out of you...

14. #94 420rowdyguy, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2012
    and who are you to say that?

who knows, the world could be even better and more technologically advanced if America hadn't been created

there is not a shred of evidence that proves quality of life today would be any diferent if an event in the past did not happen, and there will never be... its just the way it is, we just assume it did

(most wont get what im trying to get across)

15. They earn money from attendance. Think about it.

16. #96 Dannyscott, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 29, 2012
    I'm not accusing him of not being patriotic, only that he should at least acknowledge it. Standing up is not that so much to ask, a student doesn't want to do his work, so be it reprimand him academically. Same deal with the standing for a flag. This country(states) pay for him to go to school. Either go to school and salute the flag that pays for your menial education or drop out and expatriate.

1. I am a staunch American Citizen with extensive knowledge of the 17th, 18th, and 19th century politics and social practices.

America was really an experiment, America the idea and a democratic society was rebutted nearly all across the world and looked down upon by civilized society, except maybe France and Prussia. Defy the Ancien Regime, how dare you? We were seen then, the same we see Iran and its terrorists today globally speaking. A bunch of radical uncivilized and loathsome bunch. A country without a king or some semi-absolute regent was seen as destined to fail and would ultimately collapse within itself. It would be well over a hundred years before any political entity in Europe came to that style of government.

America lead the way, America was the shining outcome of the Age of Reason and reverting to classical thinking. The birth of America is what brought new ideas all around the world, and more and more countries started implementing some, but not all the economic and political freedoms they had precedented. Which lead the way to our burst of technology and freedom, which was greatly curtailed by the power of the Churches and monarchs. We could went of from right before the age of Augustus around 50 B.C.E. to the level of technology and such today in only half a centuries time, but instead we had a thousand more years of dark ages and totalitarian rule.

A rule we would still have if those few brilliant men hadn't congregated on that fateful day September 17th 1787....

You might read this and think of Charlie Browns teacher's voice in your head, but that teacher is telling you right now the study of history and its portents is the most important study ever. Because it is from learning of the past do we predict the future. Now stand up and salute that flag!

17. Stop being a snot nose kid, I know a lot of people do not care or give a shit but there are many Souls that went to Heaven or Limbo, so you could sit back, live, and learn in the Best Country you could be in. You are handed everthing while in high school just follow the rules> And get ready for a great big slap in the face when you get out and have to really start to worry about your rights.

18. Worst advice I've ever heard.

19. Really?
    I feel as you I think
    Engage the worm drive

20. Nope, not even close. What made you think that?