can they investigate your electricity consumption?

Discussion in 'General' started by slanaxe, Feb 27, 2009.

1. hi guys... i was hoping to get some feedback from you on this issue. Do you guys believe that the various law enforcement agencies have a way to monitor electricity consumption in orer to discover marijuana growers?
    Sure..... if they suspect you of growing, im sure they have the right to check your electricity bills during an investigation (after a judge sings a warrant, of course) to further validate their case.
    But im talking more like random chacks on unsuspecting individuals...do you guys believe it happens in your country?

I have been growing for quite a bit now, with a 400W HPS, and of course my consumption of electricity is nothing to worry about. but now i was thinking together with a friend of stepping up the operation to maybe 1200/1500W. But here in italy you hear a lot of stories on the streets of people getting busted this way.
    i think its all urban myths. looked around the internet for news stories or other kind of material on the issue, and found none.

What do you guys think?

2. I think the most of the stories are bullshit. But us Europeans have got it rough with the law. I know here in Spain the cops are very chill however when they wanna be nasty they can be!
    I know for a fact the police force in Spain is sooo fucking corrupt that they would never bother with a warrant.
    So i don't know how they compare with the Italian police.

Having said all this i highly doubt the do random electricity checks and even if they did it'd be like finding a needle in a haystack, right.

I have heard tho, that they use the police helecopters heat cameras to pic up unusually hot places in houses and will investigate from there.
    So keep an eye in the sky,

3. the helicopters part is very very true.
    granted, they don't have them everywhere, but, it can happen.

4. 1500W isn't enough for anyone to be interested in an investigation unless you are stealing it. I run about 4000W for my grow and I've never had any trouble.

Just pay for it, on time, and you'll be alright.

5. Your electric company will love it. I doubt the police will randomly look at the highest users of electricity in your area and then suspect foul play. The helicopter thing i have heard of but i wouldn't worry about that too much either.

6. i think if they get suspicious of you having a grow-op and you dont have fans and know what youre doing, they can tell by heat vision cameras that can give them a warrant to check your electricity bill, and then raid you.