Can the same strain require different harvest times?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by CovetousZero, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Hey guys, quick question. Got 4 tangerine dreams going. 3 are roughly same stage. White pistels, more flower time needed etc. But I've one that seems further along. This common? First time growing so any advice would be handy

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Yes it's common for strains to have 2 or 3 different phenotypes which can have varying finish times.

I'd say you're on the right path considering you observed this and asked this question.   :metal:

3. Thanks. Encouraging words. Only problem now is where to dry it. Was gonna use the grow room to dry all before cure but that one has grown ridiculously quickly. Any tips?

I had the exact same problem before.  2 options imo.  Chop all at once or find an alternate place to start drying the first 1 that finishes before the rest.

If you chop all at once some plants may be over or under ripe for your preference. 

5. Yeah I came to the same conclusion. Best find somewhere for it I guess. Shame as its the best one. Would've liked to regulate the drying before curing but Id rather the other 3 get to finish. The joys haha

6. Not only will different plants require different harvest times, but different buds on the same plant will require different harvest times. Steve Tuck of seedmine likened chopping an entire plant to chopping a tomato plant when you got your first few tomatos...lots of buds lower that will ripen later....

7. That thought occurred to me. Would harvesting the ripe parts and letting the rest of the plant mature be an option? Sorry for my ignorance. I have researched and have books but advice from people can be greatly helpful.

8. I looked into that process and it's seems obvious that's the best route. Thanks for the help guys

9. #9 BloodBooger, Jan 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2015
    For DECADES I did what every one of my friends and mentors did and chopped the entire plant...makes it a LOT easier...but that doesn't make it right. I just in the past 10 years have been selectively harvesting my plants and it has worked out great...but I dont have any issues with location to dry and cure...thats the problem with selective harvest...AND a huge bonus with S. H. ( lets use that for short) is that by doing s.h. you can easily reveg a plant and with some of my favorite plants have gotten a second veg and flower off the same rootball....and you should see the weird thick growth on a revegged plant...I had three leafed, two leafed until full sets came on strong and made a wonderful second crop.....its worth a try if you love the plant to begin with plus have the space.