Can T8 Florescents be used for Flowering?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by 420FLASmoka, Mar 6, 2009.

1. And if not, can T5's? And still if not, what about CFLs and how many would I need?

Right now I have a T8 fixture with 2 (2800 Lumen) bulbs in it, and then flanking my plants with 2 100W Equivilent CFL bulbs. I've got 3 sprouts right now.

2. I'm currently using two T5 shop lights to flower my LR#2 plants. It seems to work OK, but I did get some stretching. I'd switch over to HPS, but I don't have the venting setup. When I do, I even might just wait till next grow since I only have 3 plants flowering.

There are tons of posts about doing a full grow with CFL. They seem to be far more popular than shop lights.

3. Very nice. Thank you both for the replies.

Badwolf - How much of a yield are you estimating with your t5 setup? What strain?

4. if you are about to invest in a flouro system, the PL-55 HOT5s are extremely popular. they look like a tube that is bent in the middle, and doubled back on itself. i believe theyre available up to 55w, and have some remarkable output

honestly, any flouro will grow with moderate success if you have enough, its just that some are more efficient at it than others. the top three are probably T5, CFL (which i think is t4?), and T8, probably in that order.

if youve already got the t8 ballast, try getting some high output bulbs for it, and then supplement with a few more CFLs for flower.

5. Hi, yeah I noticed that I was wrong, I'm using old skool T12's.

I only have three plants, and it's my second grow in a few years, so I'm not expecting much. I will be surprised if I get 2 ounces out of my 3 Lowrider#2 dwarf plants together. I'm actually expecting a bit less than an ounce. Also because I wanted some seeds I pollinated them to get about 60-80 seeds out of the 3 plants which will reduce it's total yield (but I just hate buying seeds because of the risks).

6. i have a ballast with a built in reflecter that holds 6 t8 bulbs that are 32 watts each and i am having great results so far. i am at 3 weeks and two days into flowering 5 white widow and 2 ak47 plants. they are full of flowers and the trichomes are visible whitout a scope on the flowers and surrounding leaves. they look like they were dipped in sugar.

7. [quote name='"monfra"']i have a ballast with a built in reflecter that holds 6 t8 bulbs that are 32 watts each and i am having great results so far. i am at 3 weeks and two days into flowering 5 white widow and 2 ak47 plants. they are full of flowers and the trichomes are visible whitout a scope on the flowers and surrounding leaves. they look like they were dipped in sugar.[/quote]

This thread is three years old

8. It's an oldie but a goodie!