Can someone tell me why my plant is leaning on it's 3rd week?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Deleted member 1086085, Mar 8, 2019.

1. So I have never grown before with one exception and that plant was badly in need of more light so I bought a L.E.D. and some mylar for reflecting the light. It's been on a 18-6 light cycle and the only nutrients I have fed it were magnesium sulfate, nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium. I water around once a week and today when I went to turn on my lighting I noticed the plant leaning like this.

Attached Files:

2. That happens when the stem gets too long, and isn't thick enough to support the plant's weight.
    It isn't uncommon, and many of us prop up the plant until the stem strengthens.
    The consensus is that lights too far away, or too much red light, can cause this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. looks like she is reaching for the light , how far away is the light from the plant? There is plenty of room to fill more dirt into that planter , I would bury some of that stem with additional soil and get the light closer

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. What they both said. Lower the light and prop her up

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I'm using a single 45W L.E.D. grow light the light is about 6-10 inches above the plant. I don't exactly have a ruler on hand at the moment. What can you guys suggest I use to prop up the plant?

6. Fill the pot to the top with soil for support. Your plant looks like it's a week old - not 3. I suggest you add 30% perlite to your soil mix when you transplant for a more airy mix. Perlite = more oxygen to the roots = fast growth. Good luck and welcome to GC. :)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Your light is too far away and she is stretching big time for light

8. Okay so I'm going to transplant her to a larger pot with some perlite and magnesium, but what can I do as far as the light, I mean the grow light is barely a fingers length away from the plant. I am using a 45W LED and I know I should probably use something higher powered, but I'm just looking for some easy smoke and I can't really afford a $200-500 lamp. Should I just move the plant right up to the light like barely any space or what? I'm really starting to get irritated because I already bought this grow light because my CFLs weren't producing enough light, and now people are telling me the LEDs aren't either. Can someone give me recommendations on what to do? Growing cannabis really shouldn't be this stressful.

9. #9 MickFoster, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    One plant requires at least 150 actual watts out of the wall - not equivalents. My recommendations will cost you money. If money is a problem then your only alternative is to use all the lights you have and possibly add some more cfl's - and hope for the best. Good luck.

10. Dont stress yourself over it much. Majority of us were in your shoes and possibly wasted much more than you've invested in lights. I have four blurple lights gathering dust and spent possibly close to 500 on them only to find out theyre not even comparable to what I have now in my qb120s, which after supplies and driver came out to just under 200 total. If anything, use the cfls with that light to give it as much as possible if temps permit. If you have a 100 to invest in a light, grab a qb65 from Amazon, even though the spectrum isnt ideal for flowering it'll do the job for a small microgrow. You could also do the Hlg100 in a 3000k spectrum for 150+ shipping and it'll carry you thru veg and def flowering. Ive been growing for 4 years now and started just like you. Just save and buy quality or do like me and waste more than if you were to just get it right the first time.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. It's the light man.. You may dance around and find a way to get through veg but once flower comes it's just not going to do much and it'll move at a snails pace.

12. Thank you for the recommended minimum wattage, I've actually been looking for that to no avail. I am willing to spend money on light fixtures, I'm just saying that I can't afford those $2,500 LEDs on Amazon and shit. Also here's a little update on how she's doing!

Attached Files: