Can someone tell me what this is?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by liquid069, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Hey guys, this is one of my Sensi Star feminized babies.

This is just 25 days from sprout under 200 real watts of cfl about 6" from the top of the plant.

Soil = Miracle grow organic (not the 3 month feedings)
    Nutes = None just some epsom salt in waterings
    temp = avg 77 degrees

This has been going on since the first leaves. I've never seen it before (only growing for 2 months myself) I orginally thought i burned it by misting it under the light but it's appearing on the new growth as well. Is this a calcium deficiency?

Thanks for everything guys you have been great!

Attached Files:

2. might be a defficency of some sort im assuming...or it could be light burns..

3. i would have to say you need some nitrogen

4. I don't know whether it's a nitrogen deficiency or pH lockout

2 dirfferent phmeters told be 6.8 to 6.0

5. I call lack of Nitrogen, Get some in there and Im sure it will start to come back to health.

6. could be nitrogen... but then i would def be expecting a lighter color of green from a nitro def... make sure ur not overwatering it and maybe switch to a some nutes like 1 once a week or so

7. Hey guys i added Schultz Plant food 10-15-10 at a 1/4 strength last night and now look what I got. Something is off. Should I just flush at this point? I would rather not loose the plant totally. Please help soon!

Attached Files:

8. mhmm ya try a flush could be like a salt build up or something ph could be outta wack, it didnt look like a nitrogen def too me those usually start at the top of the plant, how do you have your cfls arranged? have you tryed circling the pot with them and leaving 100watts pouring down on it with another 100 on all sides of it?

9. yo Espom salt raises the general hardness of you water, in turn raising the precipitating hydrogen ion content(pH). that means like if you didn't check the pH of your water you coulda watered them with like 7.5-8.0?theory??? not sure just kinda hypothesizing wats m.js tolerence 6.5-7 assumption? flush and stop with nutes they were unnecessary from the start IMO.

10. ok now when you say 200 actuall wats you mean like the wats it says on the lightbulb or the rating..it confuses me..noob question

11. I have 8 23watt 5500k cfl's acutally i believe i took two of them out and replaced them with 2700K's to get a broader spectrum of light. When they convert them to what they are replacing they say that 23 watt cfl is equivalent to 100watt incandescent. So if they were incandecent I would have 800watts but real cfl wattage is 184watts. So it's not the light, and the pH was perfect prior to the epsom and 10-15-10 1/4 dilution. The pH of soil was 6.8 and the runoff was 6.4. I have one other girl from seed right next to her and I just put in a clone all in the same Cab and the other one from seed looks perfect. Leaves are a little mutated but that has happened before with the Sensi Star. So i'm not sure what's going on. they have been under 24-0 for about a month now. They deffinately need transplant which I plan on doing as soon as I can correct this. I wouldn't want to put her under anymore stress. I'm going to flush in an hour with distilled water. Hopefully that will help and maybe after the weekend i'll transplant.

Let me know if there are any more thoughts and I'll post a pic of the cab with the lights in a few. Thanks guys it's much appreciated!

12. Yes you should flush. I think this problem is due to magnessium toxicity... you dont need to add Epsom salt every watering. A little bit of that stuff goes a long way 1 tbs per gallon of water! be careful. You probably have some lockout problems as well
    and btw Miracle Gro is the worst soil for weed. I have some MG Organic at my house, its just sawdust and mulch seriously and some clear fert balls.
    I use shultz potting mix, still had time release nutes but not overkill like MG

13. what i'd would guess to have happened is that you did the epsom salt which raised the pH a bit too high and locked out some nitrogen. Then you added nutes which in turn burned it. I'd flush which some proper pH water. If after a little while it starts turning a bit yellow, add some nitrogen heavy nutes (not 10-15-10, something closer to like 20-10-10).

I'm not any kind of pro though, just my guess.

14. LoL, give up on that crap. Why use miracle grow ? all it does is cause fucking problems for everyone..... Go with a soil less mix that doesnt have any fucking nutrients that way you can follow the simple directions on the nutrient bottles and dont have to worry about shit like that.

Or if ur really bent on using organic shit, use the real fucking stuff..... Foxfarm ocean forest.

15. Some people can't afford to go hydro, or don't have the space. There is nothing wrong with using Miracle grow. People need to remember that MJ is still a damn weed, & it will thrive in just about anything.

From the first pic, the foliage was a very lush green, but then started to lose it's color & yellowed. A classic case of too much nitrogen.

Despite the negative connotations about Miracle Grow, it still contains fairly decent amounts of organic nutes to begin with. A plant that small shouldn't even be fertilized yet.

A simple rule to follow when growing in amended soil, is not to fertilize until you notice a deficiency, such as yellowing of the leaves, & stunted growth or necrotic spots.

Give it a good flush with some Clearex, & do not water again until the soil is dry. After that just wait to see if it comes back again. Don't give it any nutes.

It also looks like you are over-watering as well. Do not water until the first 1 inch of the soil becomes dry.

16. Wow guys thank you for all the info...
    To address some of the issues:
    the organic MG that I am using is 10-5-5.
    I started with the nutes after I saw stunted growth. she is a month old!

I stayed with MG organic because I have 2 ladies flowering right now and they're doing very well (we'll wait and see how the yeilds are ;))

I usually wait 3 - 4 days to water and I do make sure the top 1 1/2"'s are dry.
    Resolution, I flushed with two gallons of distilled water and let it properly drain and put it back under the lights. I transplanted her sister who was born same time and in the same size pot and looks good and this is what I found!!!

Attached Files:

17. whats those bubble-ish looking things in that pic?

18. Are those roots??.....they kinda look like cocoons.

If they are roots, they look very healthy.

19. Sorry those are rocks that I had on the bottom of the pot to aid with drainage so the soil wouldn't block the holes in the bottom of the pot. I carefully removed them and trasplanted into a 2 gal pot. I think she was begging for it.

Question for ya, when you guys transplant do you put it in the dark for a day and then under lights or just under lights right away? I know with clones people do the dark for 24 to pause photosythesis and promote root growth.?