Can someone shed some light on led wattage needed.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Stealthsmokerman, Jan 28, 2014.

1. ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1391814900.959753.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. This is what I have running my 1700 watts when I have my grow and game room going

Why so serious????? He puts the bong to my mouth!! WHY SO SERIOUS???? LETS PUT A SMILE ON THAT FACE!!! *bongin* (cough cough) :D

Attached Files:

4. . Im sorry im completely novice when it comes to the electrics . Can u compare mine to yours from the picture at all ?

5. See how mine has the number 30 on the actual switch what number do u have on yours

Why so serious????? He puts the bong to my mouth!! WHY SO SERIOUS???? LETS PUT A SMILE ON THAT FACE!!! *bongin* (cough cough) :D

6. A few are 15 a few are 20 and 2 are 30.i geuss im just gunna have to figure out what goes to what . Cause its not fuckin labeled !!

7. #107 jamesnb, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2014
    Flip each breaker off, one at a time, until your light goes out. That's the one that feeds your light. The number on the breaker switch tells you the max amps for which the circuit is rated. Notice what else went dead when you flipped the switch. Tell us everything powered by the circuit and the wattage of the light you're trying to run. The formula is:
    Power (Watts) = Current (amps) x Volts (use 110V in the US)
    Example:
    1000W light draws at 9 amps
    1000W/110V = 9 Amps
    If that's the only thing running on a 15 amp circuit, you're fine. Don't push it to the limit. Back off 20% to be safe.

9. Thanks jAmes awesome info . Ill get back to u guys with all the info . I should be able to at least work off the 20 . Hopefully i can pull off the 30

10. How much wattage are you trying to run?

11. #111 Jaynoonzz, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2014
    400 hps or 600 . Its the ballast that worries me

12. What I would do is just put in a 30 Amp switch and run some 12-3 or 10-3 house wire it will be in a white casing I believe just run that to a couple wall sockets and wahlah no worries you will have plenty of juice to power everything you need to run. Lights, fan, heater everything lol

13. What is it about the ballast that worries you?
    Are you growing in a bedroom, garage, basement? What else is on the circuit? 600 Watts should be fine even on a 15 amp circuit if you don't have much else pulling current.

The best thing is to have a dedicated circuit. You have to me careful how you wire it. There's a little more to it than swapping in 30 Amp breaker. The plugs and wire are only rated for 15 amps. You can run 10 gauge wire from a 30 amp breaker to a junction box and distribute current to 15 amp plugs with 14 or 12 gauge wire but you have to be careful how you make the connections. You don't want 24 amps running across a 15 amp plug. I suspect this is far more than you want to tackle on you own.
    Tell us the room you're using and what else is on the circuit and we should be able to give you an idea if it will work.

15. Ya itlll be in the basement , and i dont own i rent so im not trying to mess with the box and wires as well as me having no clue about that kinda stuff . Im going to figure out wht switch goes to what today , but when i do find the switch i wanna go thru . Itll just be runnin lights ballast and fans .

16. Thank u for the help as well

17. And the ballast worries me because isnt it like another 1000 amps im plugging in

18. Im trying to do it in my basement . And the only 30 amp circuit is conveniently located in the basement but its where the washer and dryer are hooked . Canother plugs support a washer and dryer .

19. OK what I did was I went out and bought a new 30amp to run everything so the entire grow room has its own circuit breaker. How big is your ballast cause if you are only wanting to use a 600 watt hid light you need to use a 600 watt ballast and are you going to use a tent or make a room

• Like Like x 1
  20. Im going to use tents . Yet to buy everything . Waiting on my refund . Going to buy everything i need at once . Just trying to have everything completely figured out before i get everything