Can someone shed some light on led wattage needed.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Stealthsmokerman, Jan 28, 2014.

1. [quote name="Emma & Dave" post="19447444" timestamp="1391275396"]no problem man :) let me know if theres ever anything you need. i don't know everythanng, but i'm always willing to share what i do know... well almost all of it.you always gotta keep a couple trade secrets to yourself (;[/quote]I have another question if you have the knowledge to answer good sir? Or ma'am? OK if I was to get a inline booster fan and a speed controller would that for a exhaust fan? With a filter attached? Thank you for your timeWhy so serious????? He puts the bong to my mouth!! WHY SO SERIOUS???? LETS PUT A SMILE ON THAT FACE!!! *bongin* (cough cough) :D

2. yeah, the booster fans do work, but they aren't as powerful, so when you hook them up to a filter they loose 40-50% of their power, but all that means is you might not have to set your fan speed controller so low. idk, you'll figure it out, but yes, it does work.

3. [quote name="Emma & Dave" post="19454069" timestamp="1391377252"]yeah, the booster fans do work, but they aren't as powerful, so when you hook them up to a filter they loose 40-50% of their power, but all that means is you might not have to set your fan speed controller so low. idk, you'll figure it out, but yes, it does work.[/quote]OK cool cause I don't wanna go over board yet lol eventually I want to get the biggest led they makeWhy so serious????? He puts the bong to my mouth!! WHY SO SERIOUS???? LETS PUT A SMILE ON THAT FACE!!! *bongin* (cough cough) :D

Hey hows it going? I can see that you are dropping straight knoweldge right now so I decided to pop in a quick question or two and see what you think! Hope you can answer some of my qestions, would be greatly appreciated!

Im looking to have an indoor set up in a 12'x 10' room and I am purchasing the mars 2 1200w. How many of these lights do you think i would need to fill the room and how many plants would I be bale to fit in the area??

again, thank you!

5. #65 Emma & Dave, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2014
    well lets see, each mars 1200 will cover a 4x4 space generously.
    so you could get away with 6 1200s in that area to start off with.
    you could easily fit 20 good sized plants in that area.
    with proper care you can easily expect to pull 6 pounds out of your grow room.

now, personally.
    depending of what the price is, in an area such as what your talking about, i think i would go with 9 of the mars 2 900w
    simply for better coverage around the outside, find which is cheaper, if you can snag the extra 3 900watter mars 2s for only 75-100 more than 6 of the 1200s, go for it.
    man, that would be a dope grow any way you look at it!

let me know if you're trying to stick all led!
    but heres another option.
    if you had this 12'x10' room and you ran 2 600 watt air cooled HPS and then your 6 1200 watt mars twos, you might be looking at somewhere around 10 pounds per pull (theoretically)

I'm an led man myself, but when it comes to larger spaces, LEDS have a tendency to need a little help.

sorry if it seems like im ranting, or babbling, its fun to theoreticize about what we could throw in a room.
    but yeah, 6 of the mars 1200s will give you great results.

9 of the mars 900s would give you slightly better coverage (is it necessary? probably not)

and then, for optimal speed of growth/ yield
    the 6 mars 1200s with two 600w hids.

options you know?

and again, with the number of plants, thats sorta a crap shoot, if you do scrog, you might want to do say, 9 plants. fully bush em out
    now if you are doing sog you could smush about 120 plants in that space theoretically (more like 100 if you're lucky)

as for standard lollipopping, supercropping, LST, topping fimming, HST, pinching, (or finger training) then you might expect to fit 20-30 plants in there depending on your style and your strains.

i like to grow huge bushes, and then whack off about 2/3s of everything before i switch to flower, and then i do another trim 1.5 weeks into flower, i loose quite a bit of yield, but it pushes all the plants energy straight into the 6-11 heads and then i end up with noooooo pop corn nugs.
    :) and i fit about 6 of those in a 4x4 area.

EDIT: I REALLY DONT LIKE POPCORN ON MY PLANTS

Thanks for the response homie! I really appreciate you helping a brotha out!! Now if i were to have 6 of the mars 1200 would i use the HPS for just flowering? And say i were to have TWO 10x10 rooms so i have one set in veg state and the other flowering, how would that work with the HPS? Just one set of LED for veg and then the room with both LED and HPS for flowering?? jeez im getting goose bumps just thinking about it hahaha

7. well lets just say i wantet to blow say, 5k
    between two 10x10 grow rooms...
    i would set my veg up as follows.
    4x mars II 1200 one for each quadrant
    8x 4 foot 4 bulb VHO t5 around the sides.
    thats my dream room. maybe not specifically the mars II but that basic setup between VHO and LEDS.
    That in my opinion, would be nearly absolute optimal growth.

for flower.
    in a 10x 10
    i would run two 600w HPS cool tubes or something along those lines (one in the center of each 5x10 half of the room)
    and then 9 of the mars 900s surrounding the two HIDS
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    --------LED--------------------------------LED--------
    ---------------------------HID-----------------------------
    --------LED--------------------------------LED--------
    --------------------------LED------------------------------10'
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    --------LED--------------------------------LED---------
    --------------------------HID-----------------------------
    --------LED--------------------------------LED---------
    -------------------------------------------------------------
                                10'

Would that create uneven coverage? And if I were to do so, would i have the mars II spectrum customized for flowering and veg?

What if I were to hit the plants from all angles with the LED? I.E. putting them on the sides of the room so EVERY bit of plant is getting hit with light? and same for flower?? in my head, i think thats ballin! I am a beginner though...

10. great idea if you have the space for it, but with 5w leds you want to keep them 18 inches from your plants. that's hard to do as side lighting. with VHO you can keep em 2 inches from your plants. perfect side lighting (;

11. Word. I've had some mixed reviews about VHO lights and which ones are actually legit. Would you recommend this for veg AND flower?

12. Don't take this the wrong way, but who are you getting your information from mane? :)
    The only difference between VHO and HO is the output.
    it's like saying a 600watt metal halide is bettwer than a 1000 watt.
    HO is slightly more efficient for lumen output.
    but... VHO is just simply more power in the same relative amount of space.

this light is for veg
    http://www.marinedepot.com/UVL_T5_V_HOR_AquaSun_%2850_Triband_Blue_50_Triband_White%29_VHO_Fluorescent_T5_Light_Bulbs-UV_Lighting_Company_%28UVL%29-UF5221-FILTBUT5VH-vi.html

and this ones for flower
    http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/89005/SUN-901480.html

it's really hard to overdo it on light man, its almost impossible to overdo it on light if you keep everything at least 18" away from the canopy.
    seriously, i once packed over 1100 actual watts in a 4x2x4 tent

Thats a lot of light! Appreciate the info! Also, what do you recommend for ventilation? And is C02 an issue??

14. well, a co2 monitor is essential when growing larger crops.
    is Co2 essential? well that depends on what your co2 meter tells you. you want it to hover around 1100-1500 ppm

i grow 6-12 plants in my BEDROOM with no Co2 problems
    keep in mind, this is in my bedroom i spend 8-10 hours in here at least. so the plants get a good amount of my Co2.

as for ventilation, i always recommend at least 3 times your grow spaces volume. so 10x10x8 not sure what the height is, but 8 ft is pretty standard.
    thats 800 cubic
    so at least two 1000 cfm fans for exhaust.

15. How many plants can I have in a 32"x32"x60" tent? I want at the very least 4. And I will have some supplemental cfls for some extra light

Why so serious????? He puts the bong to my mouth!! WHY SO SERIOUS???? LETS PUT A SMILE ON THAT FACE!!! *bongin* (cough cough) :D

16. i would totally go with 4
    you might be able to fit a fifth one in there, put the four on the outside and one in the middle.
    but personally, i feel 4 plants grown out a little bit longer in veg will produce better buds.
    the longer you are in veg
    the larger your root system will be, the larger your root system is, the more nutes your plant will consume, the more nutes your plant consumes the bigger and stronger it gets, allowing it to come closer to its ginetic potential.
    so yeah, i would do 4 well grow out and trimmed plants, you could easily pull 6 oz out of a 32x32 tent. even as a first  timer.

17. Do you top or anything? Just let them grow straight maybe a little lst

Why so serious????? He puts the bong to my mouth!! WHY SO SERIOUS???? LETS PUT A SMILE ON THAT FACE!!! *bongin* (cough cough) :D

18. oh shit I top, FIm, LST, supercrop, twist and pinch.

19. But with my first go around with the leds should I just let it go straight to learn how it grows then keep a clone of my favorite of the 4 and keep a couple clones

20. I still always suggest at least pinch, or pinch and twist.
    no reason not to keep em in check man, these are your plants, you create their environment, you tend to their needs, you control them ya know? feel free to let em grow naturally, but trully think about it, what plant in nature is absolutely untouched.