Can someone please show me what a Hipster is?

Discussion in 'General' started by LonelyPlanetBoy, Sep 24, 2009.

1. I've always wondered this and never been able to get a straight answer! Please explain! Pictures would be appreciated but a good enough description doesn't warrant one.

-Lonely Planet Boy

• Like Like x 1
  2. Let me clarify any confusion

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAO4EVMlpwM]YouTube - Hipster Olympics[/ame]

3. Thank you, Rumandromanism!!! +Rep for enlightening me :D

4. This thread is going to be long and very incoherent, so says I. :cool:

But I'd say that a hipster is someone who looks to butcher culture from various fashion groups/periods with regards to fashion.

I don't really know. The term has been used in so many ways that no one will ever agree upon its true meaning! :smoking:

5. I loled.

6. Oh I don't mean you, I was just referring to the "long and incoherent" thread that might start :p

7. #13 light green, Sep 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2009
    Hipster is a slang term that first appeared in the 1940s, and was revived in the 1990s and 2000s often to describe types of young, recently-settled urban middle class adults and older teenagers with interests in non-mainstream fashion and culture, particularly alternative music, independent rock, independent film, magazines such as Vice and Clash, and websites like Pitchfork Media. In some contexts, hipsters are also referred to as scenesters.

"Hipster" has been used in sometimes contradictory ways, making it difficult to precisely define "hipster culture" because it is a "mutating, trans-Atlantic melting pot of styles, tastes and behavior." One commentator argues that "hipsterism fetishizes the authentic" elements of all of the "fringe movements of the postwar era—Beat, hippie, punk, even grunge," and draws on the "cultural stores of every unmelted ethnicity" and "gay style", and "regurgitates it with a winking inauthenticity" and a sense of irony.

that's from wikipedia. most people lump everyone who shops at urban outfitters or american apparel in with hipsters, and to be completely honest most of those people aren't hipsters. most of the hipsters that i know personally haven't even shopped at urban outfitters or aa in years because of how over priced they are for shit that little kids are wearing now. and target stocks urban outfitters rip off clothes. they are people who just discovered the fashion that hipsters have had for the past few years. they are the inevitable "posers" that come with every sub culture. you can't lump someone wearing flannel and skinny jeans into the hipster category anymore because everyone dresses like that now. even famous "Bitch Hop" (thank you rumandromanism for that one) artists dress like hipsters now.

basically anyone who listens to underground music, goes to shows, and dresses semi fashionably can be called a hipster. especially if you like to party with your friends and drink pbr.

i don't really understand why everyone hates hipsters so much. maybe if people didn't treat them like a different species "The elusive hipster" maybe they wouldn't appear to be pretentious. most hipsters i know are the most accepting open minded people who will be friends with anyone who's nice.