Can someone please give me a esimate on this.

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by kinky19777, May 4, 2007.

1. I just got a HTGsupply 1000w HPS/MH ballast setup. I prevously used a MH and now will be paying for electricity....(the neighbors moved). Now I will be useing this and am curious as to how much (average) my electricity bill will go up by useing this. I plan to use it 24/7 dureing vegatative growth til they reach the desired hight and 12/12 during flowering. My power bill is the same exactly every month and they adjust it yearly for the previous years usage. I know you peeps dont work for the power company but I am sure there are several of you that can enlighten me what to expect. I dont need curious lurking power company people creepin around here. Also the ballast is a air cooled(vented )box. It has a heat shield to help cut down on heat inside.Should I shut this thing down every so often to cool off and for how long without interupting the Plants ?My 400 MH Didnt have any problems overheating but I have a 1000 watter now and just need some guidance here on what to expect. Any help is Greatly appritiated.

2. BTW Im in the southern USA if that helps

3. Going to be more than double what you were paying before. Maybe go 18/6 during veg? It'll be pricey. Why'd you switch from 400 to 1k? More plants?

4. Basically there is a small building on my property that had a power cable ran to the neighbors box but now they moved and I also wanted to grow more plants. Now the juice from the lights will be on my bill where as before it was on my neighbors bill. So I have no idea what it was costing them.

5. tell me how much you're paying per kilowatt hour and I can give you an EXACT amount.

6. or you can do the math. 30 days times 24 hrs times the cost of per kilowatt times (what ever your ballast takes to run plus the 1K for the light).

7. The cost is 7.122 per kilowatt hour...thats all it says on the website for the power company where Im from...How do I do the math on this?

8. Thats impossible from useing that calculation it says my power bill will be $5127.84.......

9. BTW peeps It only said 7.122 and didnt varify if that was $7.122 or 7.122 cents or what...

10. Ok for my area I found out it is 7.122 cents per kilowatt hour and since I have a 1000w hps bulb that would be equal to 1 kilowatt (correct?) so if thats 1 kilowatt per hour 24 hours a day 30 days a month I come up with the cost of $51.27..... Maybe this will help others see the cost of how much a bulb will cost them monthly during a grow.

30 days in a month times 24 hours a day times kilowatt hour rate(1000w hps bulb is 1 kilowatt running 24 hours a day 30 days a month) = your cost monthly of just the light.

A $50 increase a month in power is a big red flag to me but the possibility of getting away with it unnoticed might elp since it is getting summer and the AC units are starting.

11. I use this great cost calculator for appliances... Just enter your electricty kwh cost, wattage and the time it's on and you'll get an approximation of the costs per month. I found it handy for buying axial (computer) fans, as they rarely have the wattage, but you can also enter the volts/amps of the fan it will do the calculation for ya.

http://stuff.nvdesign.net/electricity/

12. Thats awesome.....Thank you DJNECRO!!!

13. I have 5 people in my house and your monthly electric bill is ~$500. We just put in energy efficient bulbs and were careful about wasting electricity and our bill only went up $20-$30/month with a 1k watt bulb on 24/7. For us, a $50 variation in our monthly bill is pretty common.

14. .... your bill will tell you how much they charge you per KWH which is 1000w for an hour ... to make it easy we will say its 10 cents per kilowatt hour ....

the formular is- light wattage, divided by 1000, times the kwh cost = your cost per hour
    "rate 10 cents KWH"
    e.g using a 400w light - 400 / 1000 x 10 = 4 or 4 cents per hour its turned on
    600w light - 600 / 1000 x 10 = 6 or 6 cents per hour

your bill is 7.122 cents per KWH using a 1000w kit
    1000 / 1000 x 7.122 = 7.122 cents per hour it is turned on

If your using a magnetic ballast (choke) it will pull more power on start up to ignite the bulb but it won't add too much on the total bill

15. It might be a red flag to you but to the power company its just a bigger smile.

16. Verrrry Funny Chimera......but seriously what do you think?