Can someone help with this plant please?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Karen B, Dec 8, 2020.

1. I've been through the other topics and don't see one like mine.

This is an Amnesia plant. First time I've grown this strain. At just a couple of weeks old, it began getting these divided leaves. 1/2 the normal dark green and 1/2 looked like somebody painted it camo colored.

1st pic

plants3_01.jpg

About 2 weeks later, those same leaves are now drying up, turning orange/brown, and dying. But ONLY the normal part of that leaf is turning brown! The Chimera 1/2 of the leaf seems fine.

2nd Pic

plant2_03.jpg

I've been growing for about 5 years with ZERO problems. Now, in addition to this plant, I am having a bunch of other issues with my plants, but I'll save the others for another post.

Back to this issue. I'm growing that plant (along with other vegging ones) in a large closet lined with reflective material.

I have a 1000W light hung in there approx. 36" away from the top of the plants. (THIS one )

I use a combo of Happy Frog soil & Coco-coir. (3-1)

I use General Organics nutes at 1/2 the suggested amount.

There's a small rotating fan that blows through there (I leave the doors open to the closet) creating a lightbreeze, but none of the plants have it blowing directly on them.

Humidity runs approx. 40-55% (depending on the weather or time of year) And I keep the temps in there at around 75.

Any help would be seriously appreciated. I've read that some plants have this multi-colored leaf issue and it's just part of their genetic makeup. (Kind of a Chimera effect) But why they are continuing to dry and die, I don't know. This leaf was taken from around the lower middle of the plant. Nowhere near the top or light for that matter.

Thanks in advance! :cool:

2. Hi Karen. Where are the dried up leaves on the plant?

There's really only a few things that would cause them to dry and curl upward, as I'm sure you've already found. I don't think the chimera thing has anything to do with them drying out like that but it could be an indication of the problem since only one side is being affected. One thing I know from experience is that seeds of any specific strain won't always grow the same way so growers won't always have the same experience. I've had weird things like this happen to one plant and not another of the same strain during the same grow that are both getting the exact same treatments. Or, one plant of a grow that gets the same amount of everything the other plants are getting will have a deficiency or toxicity the other plants don't show any symptoms of.

Have you checked run-off pH? Soil pH?

3. I haven't. I check my water each time I water & feed to make sure the ph is correct. I don't have a soil meter

4. You could do a soil slurry test to see where the soil pH is at.

1. Gather some soil.
    2. Take the sample and add equal parts of soil and distilled or deionized (DI) water in a 1:1 ratio.
    3. Stir the sample vigorously for 5 seconds.
    4. Let it sit for 15 minutes.
    5. Stir the sample again after 15 minutes, and take your measurement.

5. Thanks! So at the end just use my normal test kit to check that water, right?

6. Yep, that's all there is to it. As long as your normal pH meter is reliable, you'll know what the pH of the soil is.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks again!

• Friendly Friendly x 1