Can someone help me figure out what is wrong here???

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by beyond305, Mar 14, 2010.

1. my plant has been having this problem with the lower half of the fan leaves. They seem to be wilting and some leaves are twisting a little under of the other leaves. It started about a week before I started flowering, oh and theres like a tiny hole on some of the leaves that are doing this crap. I checked for parasites and didnt see any.

Type of seed - Bag Seed
    Plant is 2 Months and 3 days old
    Lighting - 2 - 42w Floros, 2 13w CFL's 12/12
    Soil - Miracle Grow Organic (i know its crappy) & Miracle Grow Peat Moss
    3 Gallon Pot

[​IMG]
    As you can see the plant looks healthy

[​IMG]
    One of the lower fan leaves curling down a little

[​IMG]
    This leaf is what im talking about, see how its bending ...

[​IMG]
    Pic of the small holes im talking about

2. how do the leaves feel? Soft, smooth, crunchy, rough? To me, it almost looks like maybe overwatering?, guessing this just because how the leaves look in the pics, they look like hmm whats the word im looking for... too soft? they should have some toughness too them. Otherwise, could just be the nature of the beast with that plant.

Are you monitoring water/soil ph?
    Are you using flowring nutrients?
    How about a fan? do you maybe have a fan blowing on the plant?

temp. and humidity are also key at this stage, to high humidity causes mold.

3. It could be healed nutrient burn or bugs sneaking a snack. If it doesn't get worse I wouldn't worry to much, besides that they look healthy. Just keep an eye out for little critters.

4. Its only happening with the lower half of the fan leaves and some of the new leaves that are coming out are growing a lil mutated (missing a leaf or looking a little odd).
    I havent been monitoring the water or soil ph, I just started using distilled water...before i was using dasani drinking water. I water once ever 2-3 days or whenever the pot feels light. I usually stick my finger in the soil to check the moisture level in it. I know that over watering causes the leaves to droop like that. When I water them it seems to almost help a little. Im not using any nutes but i just made a mixture of coffe grounds + water that im going to add in next watering cycle.

The plants in a 6x10 closet with a AC Vent in it thats connected to my AC unit in the home. Its about 74-76 degrees in there Im guessing. The humidity seems normal, I dont have any instruments to check it or nothin but its a big ass closet. There is no fan on the plant, should i use one ? I didnt think of using one cause the lights dont give off enough heat to cause a problem.

the leaves feel just like all the other leaves, perfectly normal, not too soft, just rigid enough. Also another thing, since i began flowering the plant has lost alot of the skunky smell it used to have before.

i appreciate your help man, the plants progressing fine but this thing thats goin on is kinda bugging me and im stressing for perfection

5. Well if possible i highly recommend getting a thermometer/hygrometer at local store for $20 give or take. (I would get one that says the current levels, as well as keep track of both highs and lows of the temp. humidity) Temp. is at about right, mabye a little warmer but no biggy.

I would get some type of fan on it as well, the leaves themsevles are like little enviornments and needs to get the 'dead-air' moved out and fresh in, or at least something to get the air exchanged on the leaves. No movement is bad. Fans will also help minimize certian critters that are unwanted.

As far as watter, I personally wouldnt use distilled water unless I am flushing, my reasoning for this is, distilled water is just H2O pure water no added minerals like from a lake or stream or rain water. This can rob your plants of nutrients, sort of like a magnet. Its not bad, just not the best option IMO if your arent adding nutes or checking ph/ppm lvls. If you are buying your water, look into reverse osmosis systems or RO engineerd water, --- If it says; RO, RO engineerd, Reverse osmosis, or something like that, the water is treated using an RO filter. This in my opinion is the best bet ;)

---Also Im curious to what the coffee grounds do, seems to me I have heard something about it but not familiar with it.

--One other thing to consider, next time your at the garden shop, pick yourself up a bag of finnnnne Dolomite Lime, the finest you can get to ensure it works in the time frame you will be using it. It will keep your soil PH neutral at 7. ;) if you add too much, no biggy, will stay at 7.

-Are you familiar with 'Flushing'? this is a term you will want to get brushed up on come harvest time to get the fertilizer taste out.

6. sorry if i missed anything :smoking: lol

7. hey caregiver, thanks alot man for the help I greatly appreciate it. Im going to deff get a thermomiter of some sort, preferably digital. As for fans, ive noticed some people use computer fans (which i have a couple of laying around) but what exactly do they use for a power supply ? I know they run off 12 volts, I think I might have a spare PSU laying around somewhere.

My house has a reverse osmosis filter system for the well water but I dont know if that water is any good for plants...any input on that? Umm Il prolly go buy some spring water just to be sure though.

Used coffee grounds provide a small amount of nitrogen, theyre considered a mild fertilizer. Theres a thread on here about em and all the uses for em.

I was also planning on buying some lime to equalize out the ph level but I heard it could take months to do so...what do you think?

and yea Im familiar with flushing, Ive just never done it before. My last grow I just cut the buds and completly forgot about it. This grow will be different though.

Thanks for the help though man! Still dont know why the leaves are twisting like that though. I read the abuse chart and it could be a nitrogen difficeny or lack of potasium.

8. Heyy sounds good, one with both hygrometer and thermometer will help mucho! Just a cheap one works great, mine has no buttons, just a switch on the back to go from ºC/ºF, tells me highs and lows. I think mine was 13-14 bucks?

As far as computer fans, they might work, I think at least a 6inch in diameter imo.

If you are flowering now, and you are confident that it is just a nitrogen deficiency thats perfectly normal, the leaves and the buds should still remain green. The plant uses the large fan leaves that it grows in vegatative state kinda like fuel tanks, once its done making and all the 'fuel' is used up the leaf will turn lighter green to yellow. Since you are flowering, I wouldn't worry about it, I would just use a standard flowering nutes mixed with your water. For flowering lower (N)Nitrogen and higher (P)Phosphorus and (K)Potassium something like a 15-30-30 or something with lower N and higher P-K.

Coffee grounds might not be a bad idea however I'm not sure how quickly and effective it will be, Something like that I think you would want to mix in with your soil before you pop the plant into it thoroughly mixed in.

Like the coffee grounds, with dolomite the finer the powder the easier the plant can take it up, if you can get the powder or stuff thats extremely fine that is the best bet, that should start working right away if not shortly there after.

Your home reverse osmosis system should be perfect for the plants, granted that its going through that RO membrane. Stop buying water, buy a ph up/down kit and tester and use the RO from home. Thats one of the best water sources you can use.

(for the computer fans, you can use ac/dc power adapters just cut the ends and wire to the two wires on pc fans. [if you take this approach make sure you have a high enough ac/dc adapter, its better to be less power than high power for these projects, and just watch it for a few days for overheating or anything like that])