Can someone explain this to me?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by dudeimoncoke, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Senate GOP pledges to block all bills until tax dispute resolved - CNN.com

From what I understand, and I might just be a complete tard so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, the GOP wants to "fund the government" all while extending the Bush tax cuts. How can you have funding when you give tax cuts to the people with the most amount of money? And how exactly do the richest 1% of the country qualify as, "all American taxpayers?"

Does anyone actually believe that the Bush tax cuts help anyone but the richest people? Why exactly did all these people get voted into Congress?

2. The rich are going to stay rich as theyt have the most sway over the government, especially when it comes to elected officials and their appointees. The federal government has been owned by private interests for a long time and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I was under the impression that the Bush tax cuts helped everyone and that the Democrats wanted to extend most of the tax cuts except the one for the highest income bracket (anyone making more than ~$250k/year I believe) and some other taxes that help the rich. The republicans, refusing to compromise, were saying that they wouldn't vote yes unless all the Bush tax cuts were extended.

I'd pull up some links, but I'm posting from my phone. :eek:

3. From what I understand even those making more than $250,000 per couple (and $200,000 per individual) would still receive a tax break on the first $250,000 (again, $200,00 for individual). So in actuality everyone would continue to receive tax cuts under the Democrat proposal.

Of course just about all hope has been lost on that proposal since the elections. Now we get to see Democrats rolling over to become the Republican's bitches.

4. Yes, you're right. My mistake. I do think there were some other taxes that the Dems were going to let expire, but you're right that (under the Dems proposal which probably won't pass) any couple who pays income taxes will still keep most of the Bush income tax rates except for any money they make in excess of $250k ($200k for an individual).

5. Have you seen the list of tax cuts coming to an end? I am not political at all, I do not choose sides. But the tax cuts that are coming to an end sure affect more than the rich. Education credits are slashed big time, no more writing off student loan interest, small business' are effected. Yea, my tax refund is going from about 6K a year down to next to nothing after this year. I hope they extend the Bush cuts, they helped out a lot more people than just the rich.

6. Guys, guys, they're just serving their COUNTRY here, thinking purely about the benefit of all of the boys and girls of the US of A. The rich are a neccesary and vital part of state capitalism, what do you think happens if they move to some other country where they aren't taxed as much? All Americans lose out, because they aren't contributing to the economy by buying expensive, excessive trendy goods for their homes, they're not saving the planet by driving up-market hybrid cars and drinking eco-friendly coffee, they're not selflessly donating staggering sums of money to our good Christian charities... and, most importantly, they're not simply present so that all may humbly look upon their shining example of what a thoroughly wonderful human being looks like! Yes, America loses her direction if the rich leave, loses her role model... and you know what happens then?

Everybody dies, that's what happens. And that's the unquestionable truth, so don't question it.

:cool:

7. #7 Postal Blowfish, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2010
    it's all about fiscal responsibility?

i lold too.

i guess now we know why they didn't invoke the nuclear option: so they can try and force the other party to invoke it.

i don't generally wanna see taxes raised on anybody, but this would be a good place to hand republicans a defeat. if anyone can afford to tighten their belts, it's people making a quarter million dollars a year. but mostly, i just want to see someone stuff a sock into the mouths of these no-compromise closet-homos, preferably while not compromising on the reach around. maybe they can learn a lesson

8. I'm all for giving the rich tax cuts and extending the Bush tax cuts.

"You can't strengthen the weak by weakening the strong."

9. My first thought is,

What do you care that someone other than you taxes don't go up, will your life change in the least?
    Will raising their taxes give you a job or a career?

What is your stake, what do you need from the feds that you are not going to get if their taxes don't go up?

10. The argument is that raising taxes on the rich will reduce the deficit, even though everyone that has been paying attention knows that won't happen.

Just take a look at our military empire and our unfunded liabilities it will become clear why we aren't going to be getting rid of the debt by slightly raising taxes on people making more than a certain amount.

Also, many of the people arguing for the Dems proposal expect things like Social Security, welfare, and Medicare to last, which, again, is a pipedream. SS and Medicare are already insolvent by any reasonable accounting standards. The warfare-welfare state is unsustainable.