can someone explain the healthcare bill that they passed?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by letsmokeasweet, Feb 17, 2013.

1. so it has been what a good year since it passed and i remembered it was such a big deal. it was such a great acomplishment!

but i still do not understand what exactly is it?
    they called it a healthcare bill
    but in suprem court
    they called it a tax????????

so im really confused. i only hear bad things about it and i really would like to know about all the good things about it

if i am poor, can i get free healthcare?

if there are any pro healthcare people out there, or people who even supported it
    could you tell me about it? why did u support it?

thanks i realy would like to understand this nd it be good to hear from both sides ad i could see what yall are saying

2. It's a tax because if you don't get healthcare you get taxed. People under certain incomes will receive cheap state healthcare if they can't afford their own or get it through employment, and from what I understand the really impoverish people don't even need healthcare and they won't get taxed for not having it.

The tax really only effects those who make a good chunk of money but don't get healthcare through their work or their own means (which they are capable financially of doing). If you're under a certain income bracket then you can get cheap healthcare, they didn't want to make the poor even poorer.

For the numbers you would have to look it up, I had a really good link explaining it all when the debates were going around but it's now lost in the sea of internets.

3. ooo sooo its a tax???

k i ki nda got that. but what does taxing pople have to do with improving the healthcare system. i thought that wat the healthcare law was...to improve the healthcare system.
    why would u tax people to make them get healthcare?
    idk
    wouldnt that over load the healthcare system and make it even more differcult to change the enviroment and improve it?

4. #4 Lenny., Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
    I don't really think anyone understands it completely. It's ~2,300 pages and you can bet that those who voted for it didn't read it. Ask the big insurance companies and big pharma, the ones that wrote the bill and will be seeing increased revenue from it.

The reason it's a tax is because that was their only hope of it being deemed constitutional.

The basic provisions - get health insurance or pay a penalty. Certain employers, cover your employees or pay a penalty. Of course, there are several hundred nuances to it.

There's going to have to be federal oversight over all of this- meaning bigger government. In order to pay for that, they're going to have to tax people even more.

5. Yea it sounded noble oon paper.

The result was higher insurance rates and job loss.

6. Yeah I was just explaining it, there isn't much we can do about it now though.

7. It would turn your local ER and doctor's office into a DMV-like environment.

Can't wait. :rolleyes:

8. Pretty much sums it up.

Attached Files:

9. So.. are we for or against?

10. so how does that improve the healthcare system?
    what were they thinking?

11. they havent showed me anything that would make me for it
    i would like to be for it
    but i dont know anything about
    2000 pages is waaaaay to long of something to understand

did our elected representives read it all and understand it all before they made it into law?

12. exactly what i was gonna say..

the people who signed and passed it can't even explain it.. never mind a bunch of people on the GC politics forum.

13. the big insurance companies are definitely for this.. they are gonna do more business than ever.
    also the big pharma industry will be making windfall profits with all the new scripts that'll get written.