Can someone explain the concept of Aetheism to me?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Gonzopoly*, Feb 28, 2014.

1. So I do have to admit, God doesn't answer prayers or really intervene on a daily basis for just about anyone asking of Him. Have faith, blah blah blah we're not living in the year 2000 bc when those type of mindsets are relevent. There's cars, plains, high speed trains, skyscrapers, jumbo jets, microscopic (or nearly) cameras and microphones and other technology that exists. As much as certain people would like to deny, science is extremely relevant. And we all have to admit, religion IS going to shit.

I came across that video of that monk who doused himself in fire and lit himself on fire as a "protest" and suffered lifelong injury and mutilation as a result, is that the best years of meditation and a "holy" life can bring you? We don't hear of works by faith today, and the only way Jesus is going to be heard around the world if he returns is solely through technology, not by any other methods. Although I guess maybe the Messiah wasn't heard 'round the world the first time he came.

Well my question is, can someone explain aethiesm or provide any links that provide clear, concise information about aethiesm that is free from all the scientific lingo and described in a way someone can understand?

2. What is there to explain?

Sent

3. Atheists believe they are without god, though this is a fallacy as god is all, god is the universe and therefor we are all god.

Atheists believe in non existence after death, but this too is a fallacy for non existence does not exist.

Former atheist.

4. There is no "all powerful being" pulling the strings and making shit happen. Everything at happens has a perfectly reasonable explanation that can be proved and repeated by science. There is no reason to believe that some guy who supposedly lived over 2000 years ago died for me to "save" me. I don't know what happens after I die, but I think it's dumb to believe that I will be judged by an omniscient entity and sent to a place where I either praise said being for the rest of eternity, or whatever, or I go somewhere else and burn and be tortured for the rest of time. Atheists believe that we control our own destiny and there is no god that has any kind of control over the universe.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum

5. Atheists don't believe things that they've been told.

That's basically it.

6. As an atheist I would say at least for me personally it's going off the evidence that I can see and observe in our universe. I know that we exist, cause I'm typing this right now, but I don't know nor I have ever experienced any kind of godlike being who can create existence. Therefore I go based off the evidence that existence exists and there never was nothingness. I also kinda feel that god or creation doesn't exist because time doesn't exist without matter therefore there is no first moment or creation. Idk if I answered the question for all atheists but that's why I'm an atheist.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

7. What's aethiesm ?

8. #8 kakashi60, Mar 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2014
    I dunno sounds fishy to me: athiest believe that WITHOUT A DOUBT there is no god/higher power. And the universe being as it is Id say your a fool at the moment to think that there isnt a possiblity that there is a grand watchmaker sitting in a different dimension watching his creation unfold. Or we are all just the dream of a butterfly :confused_2:

9. I have to respectfully rebut this statement. One cannot say there is absolutely no god. It is not possible to prove a negative. An athiest simply believes that it is highly unlikely that a god exists based on lack of sufficient evidence for the god in question. Show me some evidence and maybe I will change my mind. Even if God showed himself to us, I wouldn't follow him because it doesnt change the fact that there are a lot of moral inconsistencies within "his" religion that I would refuse to be a part of it.

Positing that there is an eternal being is a positive claim... uhh, what you talking about, Willis?

11. Posting that there is such a being is exactly that. Just a claim. Without evidence to back up that claim it had no merit.

12. I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. I'm not defending the existence of god, I simply meant that logically, you cannot prove that something does not exist, however, if you claim something to exist you must provide proof for it's existence. Hence why the burden of proof lies with those claiming there IS a god, not those who reject such nonsense

13. Well as an atheist I believe that we shouldn't praise a god and there might be life after death maybe not heaven but something else. We can't prove that there isn't. But being an atheist is mostly enjoying life without the restrictions of religion. I don't sin for recreation but I feel free of religion and it feels fantastic. It makes you stronger to say hey I can take care of myself and this is the only life I have so I will love the people around me and do crazy things because fuck it in a century I'll be dead so who cares about what people think be yourself and learn to live in the moment because in reality the moment is all we really have. And that's why weed is my passion because it lets us fully live in the present and breads love and positive vibes.

14. #14 SassyMelassy, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2014
  15. It's difficult to live a claim free life.

16. #16 Boats And Hoes, Mar 7, 2014

No, I believe I'm understanding you very clearly. Logically, if you want to speak of logic, then I hate to burst your bubble, for logic itself cannot be proven to be real without a burden of proof (let alone can it disprove God); you see, logic is a law of thought, an axiom granted by a person, and not a material existence... you trying to disprove God by employing logic begs the question from the outset, that is to say, what is logic? Your criterion for assesing "logic" is not a matter of fact, but a matter of belief, something YOU accept based on principles relative to you. You cannot use logic for a standard of judgement without presupposing your own belief system. So, the same is with God; a thesit cannot prove to you that God exists without already presupposing some standard of judgement and appraising truth.

So, positing that God is an eternal being is a positive claim... even if it may not seem that way to a person who holds to very rigid empirical principles.

17. #17 ScottSJohn, Mar 7, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
    Douglas Adams

I believe that everyone has the right to believe what they want and don't interfere with others beliefs. There are some good lessons in all religious books but when it comes to faith in deities I have no interest. I'm purely logical and logic is not debatable - if I can't see, touch, smell, hear or prove it through other methods, it probably doesn't exist. Religion is to atheism as philosophy is to economics (in a way)... one explains how the world should work (according to their teachings), the other explaining how it actually works.  

18. Atheism is another term for devil worship

19. #19 kakashi60, Mar 7, 2014

seriously dude read my entire post learn to actually argue a point instead of spurting the first idea that comes into your head from reading the first sentance. Since you are unable to read entire post and if you are still reading this, my point was that there would have to be some sort of higher power. I was merly explaining the defintion of an athiest. Agnosticism is the one where there are open to a higherpower but dont beleive it yet. Learn to english plox

20. Learn to English?