Can someone explain Rep abuse to me?

Discussion in 'General' started by Chronny215, Dec 20, 2008.

1. I just had my thread close for rep abuse apparently, if not then I have no idea why, but yeah, I'd really appreciate if someone could explain that to me, or point out where it is in the rules/FAQ?

2. Well if you negativly rep'd someone, and they complained, I'm sure the mod's looked into it and made the proper descision which they saw fit for your thread.

3. Reputation is a point system that supposedly represents a persons reputation here at the city.

However, it is many peoples opinions that Rep doesn't mean shit, and it's just a big joke :p

4. I started a thread asking if anyone could guess my first name, and I said I would give a + rep to the first person that guessed it, and it got deleted, someone said it was rep abuse, I tried to contact RJML but no response so far...

5. it got closed cuz u cant offer rep as a prize...... thats not using it what its meant for..

6. You can't offer rep as a reward for replying to your thread, or for a contest...That's the rep abuse that got your thread closed, not to mention a "try to geuss my name" thread is just pure spam...

7. That's a frivolous use of reputation

I mean the whole thing is kind of stupid, but you're discouraged from handing them out for basically nothing at all

8. I still don't understand where that is in the rules?? I checked the FAQ and the Terms of Use and the forum rules thing and there's nothing about that at all. And no it was not pure spam, that's ridiculous.

9. ohhh

there you go OP .

i kinda of thought it might of been that but (no offense) since your rep doesnt really do anything i didnt think that was it...but i guess its the principal

but yeah i dont see how thats spam and if its not in the rules you beat the system

10. #10 eldude-arino, Dec 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2008
    regardless of your feelings on the matter... Rep is for someone who helps a member, posts an article.... in general does something meaningful for this online community

....guessing your name doesn't really deserve rep, for one... two, unless you rep'd a member with one bar as well, your rep is meaningless.... three, that thread was pointless in and of itself... AK was merely informing you of the "rep rules" (written or unwritten)

also, mods don't tend to like it when you create another thread asking why your thread was closed... you can either PM the mod that closed your thread or PM another to get an outside opinion

11. So... I'm gona go ahead and guess your name is Chris.

12. I'm gonna say Ronnie

13. I understand the concept, I would like to know where I can read this and avoid getting banned for making uninformed posts, I contacted RJML and got no response yet, and I'm in discussion with AK infinity, I'm not asking why my thread was closed dude I'm asking about rep abuse.

14. #14 eldude-arino, Dec 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2008
    y'all're priceless :hello::D

I understand the concept, I would like to know where I can read this and avoid getting banned for making uninformed posts, I contacted RJML and got no response yet, and I'm in discussion with AK infinity, I'm not asking why my thread was closed dude I'm asking about rep abuse.[/quote]

pretty sure i covered the basics of using the rep system in the bolded area... generally, anything outside of that (malicious repping, repping as a prize, etc.) falls under rep abuse

15. You know how i just neg repped you for no appaerant reason.......well thats rep abuse.:D

16. Aw, I hope you didn't :(

But really...when I got here I didn't need to be coached on what was cool and what wasn't.

17. I don't feel like I'm straying from the generally accepted way, I've seen the exact same thing in other posts, I thought my thread would be fun, I honestly don't think it's anymore pointless then any other thread on this forum with some exceptions, but still I mean there are hundreds of pick up threads that have no point at all, and what about the cleavage thread?

18. I'm not making a value judgment one way or another on your thread or any other thread

You asked what constituted rep abuse and we're telling you that contests that offer rep as a prize fall under that category

19. Naw man i would never do that........well maybe i would but i didnt.:D

20. The cleavage thread is NOT pointless :D:D