Can someone explain a caucus and primary?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by camram, Dec 15, 2011.

1. All I really know is you have to be registered with the party to actually vote but what are delegates? I heard delegates actually decide the outcome of a primary/caucus so why does nobody poll the delegates?

2. bumpity bump

3. FactCheck.org : Caucus vs. Primary

4. So what does it mean when they say people in Iowa will have to come out and vote on a cold night? That description of a caucus sounds like a big group of people who huddle and select delegates.

Are the registered GOP voters in Iowa voting for the candidates or the delegates from their precinct?

5. It's all indoors, so no one will have to worry about those cold Iowan nights. I'm almost positive that they choose delegates from their precinct. I'll do a little more research and get back to you.

6. I can't believe more people including myself do not know the answer to this question. A caucus is a pretty important thing, so not knowing how one is operated is kind of sad.

7. in MI ... regardless of party you can vote in the primaries

8. Yeah a primary sounds more like a national election but what the heck is a caucus...

9. Well only 10 states do caucuses, so it's not a very common thing. No need to be discouraged. :)

10. camram, whoever wins Iowa gets ALL the delegates just heard that while listening to this broadcast completely random too:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwmj8Lr2LoU]Mike Church, Tom Woods, and Kevin Gutzman Destroy Neocons Mark Levin and Jeffrey Lord - Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

13:00 mark

11. I don't know if this will help, but the real difference between primaries and caucuses is you are not enclosed within a voting booth. You have opportunity to influence other people who attend, and/or you can be influenced yourself.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCylh5kHsB4&feature=related]US Elections: The Caucus Explained - YouTube[/ame]

12. Hmmm... Sounds like a caucus is great for candidates who have passionate supporters like... RP :cool:

I say this because voters must show up and make their vote public. RP supporters are all over that.