Can someone confirm this deficiency for me?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Dingus, Apr 21, 2013.

1. #1 Dingus, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2013
    I think i have mag deficiency due to pH or straight up deficiency. The mag def is also causing slow or low uptake of phosphorous and nitrogen i think. The leaf petioles and veins are red while he leaves are showing pretty clear mag def. i have both cal mag and some epsom salts so someone tell me what to do and it will be done!

What type of medium; soil or hydro? Hydro (~2gal coco coir hempy bucket)

Indoors or outdoors? Indoors

What strain? Female seeds c99 x-line hybrid

How old are the plants? 10.5 weeks since sprout

What type of lights and how many watts? 250w MH in cooltube

How far from the lights? 4-6 inches from the closest to farthest nodes. In a scrog so..

What is your watering frequency and source of water? Every couple of days when I can see that the res is low and the top layer of coco has dried a bit.

What, how much and when was it fed? NPK? KISS maxibloom, 5-6g low light lucas formula. Yesterday i flushed four gallons through and then watered with 5g maxibloom and 1ml calmag but I am not confident that has fixed it.

Will discolored leaves ever go back to normal? Or the red veins at least clear up back to yellow/green so I will be able to tell i've solved the problem?

What is the medium/runoff pH and PPM if in hydro?

I will do a slurry test and get back on this, i dont have a ppm meter. I've been watering at 5.8 consistently and throw in a 5.6 every couple of waterings. I figure the ph in the res will increase a little bit so over 5.8 i don't have to worry about

What are the temps and humidity in the room? 68-82F 30-60% RH.

What size pots? ~2gal tub with maybe 20% of it is the perlite res.

Any bugs? Look real close. No

I took pics of the leaves flash on and off so you can see the discoloration better.

Attached Files:

2. #2 Dingus, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2013
    Bumpy

3. Excellent detailed post

My guess is K.

Potassium (K)

Potassium is involved in maintaining the water status \tof the plant and the tugor pressure of it's cells and the opening and \tclosing of the stomata. Potassium is required in the accumulation and \ttranslocation of carbohydrates. Lack of potassium will reduce yield and \tquality.
    Potassium deficiency (K).
    Older leaves are initially chlorotic but soon develop \tdark necrotic lesions (dead tissue). First apparent on the tips and margins \tof the leaves. Stem and branches may become weak and easily broken, the \tplant may also stretch. The plant will become susceptible to disease and \ttoxicity. In addition to appearing to look like iron deficiency, the tips of \tthe leaves curl and the edges burn and die.
    Potassium - Too much sodium (Na) displaces K, causing a \tK deficiency. Sources of high salinity are: baking soda (sodium bicarbonate \t"pH-up"), too much manure, and the use of water-softening filters (which \tshould not be used). If the problem is Na, flush the soil. K can get locked \tup from too much Ca or ammonium nitrogen, and possibly cold weather.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. #5 Dingus, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2013
    Hi popeye thanks for your suggestion. your pics didn't load for some reason so um can you re upload? I have had magnesium deficiency previously in the same setup and it looked the same, are you sure it is potassium? She isn't looking any better from since I flushed, replenished her nutes and added 1ml cal-mag+

The reason why I am thinking it might be mag deficiency is because my symptoms are very similar to these
    [​IMG]

however I really want to have more information and other opinions before I do anything and possibly make it worse.

5. Sorry dingus. Can you see them now?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Thanks Popeye they are showing now. That actually does look very close to the yellowing I'm getting. After checking more thoroughly I am seeing some edge burning like K deficiency.

Since she's in a tight little cab scrog it's hard for me to really see in there but I stuck my head in. From looking down at the canopy lights off with pretty neutral lighting in the room she looked generally yellow. Like N deficiency. If she is generally deficient I think I should just go back to 7g/ gal of maxibloom. I have been using 5g/ gal because that is closer to low light formula which is anything under 400w. But I think she is big enough that she might be hungrier and that could be the problem.

7. Mg usually gives brown spotting all over the leaf. It seems yours is starting at the tips.

8. I think she is generally nutrient deficient now, after taking her out and looking her over. Got a couple almost fully yellow leaves like n deficiency. A lot of yellowing starting inter-veinally working inwards with brown spotting on some edges and all tips.

Attached Files:

9. How's she looking now dingus. Give us an update.
    It would help me out to know if the diagnosis was correct.

10. Hi popeye! I forgot to update this thread after i updated my main thread. A lot of her older leaves went near full yellow it seems like she was just generally deficient or mad locked out.

I transplanted, added a 50:50 coco perlite layer in between the 100% coco that she was mainly in. I think there was a salt buildup and maybe lack of dissolved oxygen. She is still drooping like overwatered so idk, but i did flush and then feed her with 7g/gal regular dose. Her veins have started to get some green back. Will the yellow leaves get their color back or should i chop em?

I'm now watering daily until her roots reach the new res

Her new growth looks good but everything is drooping still. Ill take some pics when i return to the crib

11. Alright..

So even after all ive done it seems that leaves are still yellowing and drying up more! Despite redness going away in veins and petioles, leaves still are falling off. What can i do?

Attached Files:

12. #13 Dingus, Apr 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2013
    I have no fucking clue what to do. Even after transplanting to a better mix, flushing a fuckton and then refeeding with 1 tsp of epsoms and proper pH she is still deficient and wasting away within my hands. Everything was fine for literally 7 weeks of using only maxibloom like im supposed to an now she just fucking dying. Hella leaves went full yellow and then shriveled up and fell off.

Please advise someone!!!

Seriously someone tell me what the fuck to do.

-new growth is doing the under-taco.
    -some new growth is blotchy
    -most redness in veins has been replaced by green but leaves are still getting splotches and then drying up like mag deficiency.

Attached Files: