Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Can someone be allergic to cannabis?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Fat Hits, Aug 12, 2012.

1. A couple people I know say that they don't like to smoke because it makes them feel sick every time, and claim that they are "allergic". My question is simple - is this a real thing?

I understand that some people can't handle the bud but I don't know if it necessarily means that they have a physical rejection to it.

Thanks

2. Anyone can be allergic to anything.

3. My ex was supposedly..even one hit of schwag would make her puke and trip balls

4. If they were allergic to it, they wouldn't get nauseous. Allergies to pot is similar to grass, if you roll in it you get the hives...it's the same concept, when people are around you and smoke it, you break out in the hives and it's so fucking itchy man...you never wanna deal with having an allergic breakout like that, every single inch of your body is covered...and it sucks when you have to drive a few hours back home from a concert, lemme tell ya

But i just thought i'd relay that message, if they were allergic to it and smoked it themselves their throat would enflame and enclose their airway and they'd possibly die if they didn't get immediate medical attention, and as you can tell this is not the case.

If they feel sick, i'd imagine it's because marijuana is a mind altering drug and they're not feeling good from coming down and already have previous symptoms of sickness but they didn't notice it because they were 'high'.

5. Yep! It is well documented-

Allergy to Marihuana (abst - 1971)
    Annals of Internal Medicine | Allergy to Marihuana

Occupational immediate type allergy to hemp pollen and hashish (abst – 1980)
    [Occupational immediate type allergy to he... [Derm Beruf Umwelt. 1980] - PubMed - NCBI

Allergic Skin Test Reactivity to Marijuana in the Southwest (full - 1983)
    Allergic Skin Test Reactivity to Marijuana in the Southwest

Allergenic properties of naturally occurring cannabinoids. (abst - 1983)
    Allergenic properties of naturally occurring can... [J Pharm Sci. 1983] - PubMed - NCBI

Cannabis (hemp) positive skin tests and respiratory symptoms (abst - 2000)
    Cannabis (hemp) positive skin tes... [Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2000] - PubMed - NCBI

Allergic rhinoconjunctivitis caused by Cannabis sativa pollen (3rd article) (full - 2007)
    http://www.jiaci.org/issues/vol18issue1/13-17.pdf

Cannabaceae Pollen in the Atmosphere of Brianza, Northen Italy. (abst – 2007)
    Cannabaceae Pollen in the Atmosphere of Brianza, Northen Italy. - Medical Journals - Healia

Sensitization and Allergy to Cannabis sativa Leaves in a Population of Tomato Sensitized Patients. (abst - 2008) Sensitization and Allergy to Cannabis sativa Leaves in a Population of Tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum)-Sensitized Patients.

Allergic hypersensitivity to cannabis in patients with allergy and illicit drug users.
    (full – 2011) http://www.elsevier.es/sites/default/files/elsevier/eop/S0301-0546(10)00287-9.pdf

IgE-Mediated Hypersensitivity Reactions to Cannabis in Laboratory Personnel.
    (abst – 2011) IgE-mediated hypersensitivity react... [Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Molecular allergology in practice: an unusual case of LTP allergy. (abst – 2011)
    Molecular allergology in practi... [Eur Ann Allergy Clin Immunol. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI

Granny :wave:

6. Very informative.

Thanks again Granny.

7. I think the better question is how in this day and age can they not eradicate allergies? Idk might be a dumb question.

8. They can to an extent, it's just unaffordable for the average household.

9. [quote name='"bubbs"']

They can to an extent, it's just unaffordable for the average household.[/quote]

Really? I didn't know that, not that I've done any research or anything on it. Fuckin poison ivy

10. it's kind of like immunizations i believe, expose to said allergy some way chemically then slowly build immune system to it

11. False

12. A lot of people are allergic to any kinds of smoke.

13. My mother claims she is allergic to it.

Background: She's allergic to tree nuts (almonds, Brazil nuts, cashews, chestnuts, filberts/hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, coconut, pecans, pine nuts (pignolia nuts), pistachios, and walnuts.)

She's had an allergic reaction before, to say the least. Says in college she smoked with my Dad and had a similar reaction.

14. can they be allergic...YES
    are all the people saying they are allergic, as a reason to not partake, really allergic...NO. (they should just say they don't want too...it's cool, honest, and nothing wrong with not toking)

15. yep my buddies mom is allergic

16. most usually just say it not to smoke i dont see why they just say nah im good. Some can be allergic, rare id assume.

17. Absolutely. I developed an allergy to it, and can't smoke anymore. I suppose my allergy is on the more severe side. It makes me very ill now. I wish I could still smoke.:( At first I have trouble breathing, my nose becomes completely inflamed, and I am basically struggling to breathe. The day after I am very itchy and still have trouble breathing. Sometimes it's so bad I'll have a fever and get chills/ aches in my body. It's a scary feeling, similar to having a bad case of the flu.

18. Yes. I have a friend who thinks shes allergic.

19. it is possible to be allergic to anything..

the smoke by itself can be an irritant..

20. You actually can be allergic to it but I don't think it's very common. I'm allergic to EVERYTHING that they do on the allergy test other than the water(which btw, you can be allergic to) and I'm not allergic to smoking weed!