can someone answer this please?

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by 500-80, Dec 24, 2009.

1. i cant find anywhere how long it takes in between harvests. i heard you can harvest a plant as many times as you want, but how long do i have to wait untill i can harvest it again after i just did?:confused: ill +rep to anyone who answers because i cant find shit anywhere online.

2. The only way to harvest a plant more than once is to leave some buds on the plant and throw it back into vegetation. Check out the link in my signature for an example. ;)

3. Thank you so much dude but I didn't see how long you have to wait after you harvest untill you can harvest it again? Thanks again

4. However long it takes for you to get enough vegetation grown back to make flowering worth it to you. I revegged the one in my sig for around 4 weeks, then you have a regular flowering cycle which for indica dominant plants would be around another 8 weeks. It's basically another entire grow.

5. So I'd probably be better off just planting a new plant entirely?

6. Up to you...I tend to reveg a plant when I find a strain I like and I want to preserve the genetics so I can take clones. If you have more seeds of the same strain, than sure, just plant more seeds.

7. If your only goal is to have a quicker turnover time, just plant another seed. The trick is to plant it so that the timing is where it will be ready (all vegged up) about the same time your flowering plant is done. That cuts the cycle in 1/2.

8. #8 lessismore, Dec 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2009

This is a very good point.

1. You have mature flowers to test and make sure it is of the potency and bouquet you were seeking. Taking clones is great, however if you have never grown and experienced the finished results of the strain, you never know how good it is until you try it yourself. You really cannot go by another person growing the same strain b/c they may not be from the same exact genetics. Seed producers and resellers may name strains the same, however they can very dramatically from each other.

2. Strains often show more than one phenotype. Often from the same batch of seeds you will see different phenotypes from the strain, and some are better than others, some taste or smell better than others, and some produce better than others. This option gives you that second chance to preserve a specific phenotype.

After reveg, you can clone and select a mother from these clones.

This is true as well, however there is no guarantee you will get the exact same characterisitcs and specific phenotypes you had from the first seeds. The same batch of seeds can produce several characterisitcs and phenotypes which may appear much different than the first seeds produced. Even seeds form the same batch can show different growth characterisitcs and specific phenotypes.

I tend to harvest the top half of the plant, wait 2-3 weeks, harvest again for the popcorn will get quite a bit bigger, then use the main stalk with only a couple underdeveloped braches to reveg. After about 3-4 weeks, it will have develped enough for clones, or you can flower it again.

One thing, all plants will reveg, however some strains do carry hermie traits which after 2 or more times placing into reveg will end up going hermie. These are mainly Sativa dominant strains which have strong lineages to Thai and other Asian varieties.

9. when you guys reveg.. do you suggest trimming down the rootball and starting it in a smaller pot, or is it best to leave it in the same container?

10. I was speaking on "quick turnnover" only,...strain irrelevant. Keeping and shaping a specific strain,....I'll leave that those that know a lot more about it than me,lol

11. Trimming down the roots would be an option, however it is not needed. Trimming the roots is used in making Bonsai plants. I love making Bonsai plants, for they take little if any space, and you can clone off them for a very long time, not to mention they look really cool.

This is true for the quick turnover. I just wanted to make the point if you really liked that specific phenotype of a given strain, you may lose it trying to run more seed. If you are not concerned with saving a specific phenotype, then just planting more seed is a way to make a quick turnover as well. The thing with doing the seed method is you have to know the growth characteristics of the strain you are using so you can get a cycle going. With clones, you already know the the plants growth cycles, know the feeding and watering it requires, so it makes it much easier to time out a good cycle for a perptual harvest.

12. I've never had to trim the rootball, but I do up the size of the container (from a 3 gallon for the regular grow to a 5 gallon) and add new soil because the buffer used in most commercial soil tends to get depleted and then pH goes wacky and you get nute lockout and other fun stuff.