Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Can smoking weed only a few times cause permanent mental illness?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Caleb_Nash, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Especially if the family of the smoker has a history of mental illness mainly things like depression bipolar and other things like that.. I have heard of people getting temp anxiety from smoking weed, how long does that last? Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Hell no dude. The past 3 gen's in my family are mentally ill and I've been smoking a shit ton of weed since I was little and I don't have and mental illnesses. Weed is harmless bro.

3. @Op No! ... Thats just a Ignorant Stereotype.

4. Yes, it's a scientifically proven fact. :ey:

5. Is this for serious right now? Turn off your tv and do some actual research. If anything it would help a mental illness rather than make one come out or make one worse.

6. They're gonna toss you in a padded room and throw away the key.....you're fucked man.  

7. Some people can get anxiety attacks while high because your heart rate increases but generally that type of thing would go away after 30 or so minutes as you start to come down from the peak of the high. Some studies say that if you have a family history of schizophrenia, marijuana can make your symptoms appear earlier but if you know that you won't get it, marijuana won't give it to you

8. Smoking weed can also give you Aids.....true story. 

9. Ah, what was the question?

10. it will not cause anything you wouldn't already be at risk of.

Sent from my D7018 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

11. #11 cball, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2013

there you go again with the association fallacies...and bullshit claims...'greening out' is now some out of temp mental damage...ya right...(wtf do you call that issue with kids that drink too much alcohol freak out, acting crazy and spew chunks, for hours?)

ya know what there skippy, each and every person in the world that has ever had a mental illness used dihydrogenmonoxide...every last one of them..so should we stop using it?

More people die from dihydrogenmonoxide every day then from mj/mmj in the last 10.000 years..shits deadly mahn!!!

OP...I have a bridge to sell in Canada if you want it?

12. #12 Matao429, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2013
    Nope. You do REALLY get fucked up the first couple times. unless you fall from loss of balance and hit your head really hard  :p

13. My mother was bipolar- I'm just a tad moody at times. :cool:   I have found that cannabis smooths out the highs and lows. :smoke:

One recent medical study found that bipolar folks seem to function better if they use cannabis!

Cognitive and clinical outcomes associated with cannabis use in patients with bipolar I disorder.       (abst – 2012)        http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22818174

"Interestingly, bipolar patients with history of CUD (Cannabis use disorder) had better neurocognitive performance as compared to patients with no history of CUD."

A second, earlier, study....

The effect of extreme marijuana use on the long-term course of bipolar I illness: a single case study.      (abst - 2007)
     http://www.cannabis-med.org/studies/ww_en_db_study_show.php?s_id=247

...found the the number of "up" days were increased, while the number of "depressed" days decreased. Since I enjoy the "ups" when mellowed by cannabis, and do a lot of work on those days, cannabis is a quite a help for me! Just don't smoke in "sketchy" situations, or overdo it, and you should be fine. :smoke:

Remember that the government and press exaggerate (lie) about the effects of cannabis! (Go watch the original "Refer Madness" :laughing: if you don't believe me!) They may have gotten more subtle over the years, but they are STILL lying about the effects! You can read more about bipolar and cannabis by getting a copy of my List (bottom of my sig).

Granny

14. Sigh. A lot of different answers thus far.
    Here's the blunt truth. It can't cause mental illness but can on occasion cause an underlying mental illness/mood disorder to more or less come into effect a bit early.
    Bipolar is one of these.
    However.
    Bipolar being the way it is, rears it's ugly head (as well as schitzophrenia) mid to late adolecence (as late as young adult it can wait till you're like 25) and that being about the time you'd pick up weed there can be debate.
    I come from a family of bipolar at least the previous two generations of men if not more have been. Marijuana is a common thing to pick up to self medicate especially during mania(which unlike the books make it seem don't always make you feel like superman it can be chaotic anxiety.
    Self medicating leads to addiction, addiction is bad mmkay and bi polars have the tendancy to over indulge. And with all the variables on weed you can understand traditional psych professionals view.
    A more subtlety known fact is that marijuana is often one of the most effective medications possible. And with monitoring how much you smoke of what when can help anyone.
    I've had major anxiety and panic from smoking especially when I first started I was more sensitive to each strains effect on that. But now I use primarily it to medicate I'm not diagnosed as bipolar but to have panic disorder(different than panick attacks) anxiety is awful but I've managed to go from taking 5mg of klonopin a day with constabtly rotating other meds, down to just a stimulant for adhd tendancies and good ol weeds.
    Find your strains that work and fit for you. Every bud and every person is different
    Best of luck from a fellow mentally colorful (ill is such a poorly oriented word)

15. I don't believe it can cause it, but everyone reacts differently to feeling the effects. Some people loosen up in social situations after they've smoked, others become uncomfortably self-aware and get 'locked inside themselves'. I think one of the reasons behind all the psychological hysteria surrounding weed aside from anti-drug propaganda, is the vast difference between weed and alcohol.

Alcohol makes people numb, and (at least in my experience) weed makes people more sensitive. And, especially for those who are already naturally sensitive, becoming more sensitive can get very overwhelming very quickly. Lots of people don't like getting high for that reason. It's also why 911 pot overdose calls are a thing :p

tl;dr

People are scared of the unknown. The biggest unknown is your own mind. Weed exposes tiny parts of it you didn't even know were there. Makes some people freak out.

16. #16 Stormy Sea, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
    Bipolar disorder actually isn't 'one of them.' Weed is known to cause anxiety, not anxiety disorders. 

There was a study published a while back that linked symptoms of Schizophrenia to early abuse of marjiuana in young teens. People just like to blow shit out of proportion and take things out of context. 

My mother is bipolar, and she smokes weed pretty much daily. It calms her down, helps with her ADHD, and makes it so she experiences less depression and anxiety. It just stabilizes her moods. She takes her actual medication too, ofc. Weed has never caused her symptoms to become worse, or made her go into mania... alchohol has, though - when she drinks, she becomes manic instantly.

I've done a lot of research on the disorder, since it's genetic, and it's really not that common. Most people have nothing to worry about.

I much prefer her smoking weed to drinking, that's for damn sure. Bipolar disorder is genetic, you aren't going to get it from smoking a jay. The only study linking weed to a mental illness was for schizophrenia.

If you have schizophrenia in your family, don't abuse drugs, as they 'could' exacerbate symptoms.

17. Is this a troll? Smoking a MILLION times won't cause u a mental illness..unless you're pregnant..don't smoke if you're pregnant.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

18. No no I didn't mean to make it sound like it causes it. Just the right panic attack can set the beginnings into motion if incase you're already going to have it.
    Its wonderful for medication my dad uses it faithfully it calms him down aswell.
    He's an alcoholic though and ill agree with those same effects.
    I only meant to say its most effective I've found if used in similar doses and timings throughout the day as any chemical into your body alters things. For to Stay medicated and evened out is the point.

It's my long term goal to breed a strain specifically for people who suffer from bipolar.

19. Oh and I saw that study on schitzophrenia I dId a little more looking and it has few facts that back it up further than a lot of schitzophrenics smoke weed. They typically go through "episodes" like those with bipolar do. And get too high I can see how it sends you into a bad enough panic attack that after it gives u something to be paranoid enough to outwardly show the disease. But it was hardwired there to begin with

20. No it can't cause you to randomly develope a mental illness. It can however bring up underlying conditions that you already have.