Can smoking out of a metal or wood pipe cause more health issues than a glass bowl?

Discussion in 'Smoking Pipes, Glass Spoon Pipes' started by FattyAssSnaps, Jul 12, 2012.

1. I can't seem to find to much info on this but do wood or metal pipes actually release chemicals that can cause more lung or health problems during combustion?

2. I would never use an aluminum pipe, there is a reason german military still carries around cast iron cookware. Far as a wood pipe, I would make sure that it was not lacqured with some type of sealant or wood stain where you will be touching any flame, including the top of the pipe.

3. im sure if they alter taste it is because it is putting off chemical's.... but i smoke out of metal pipe's.. but only one's i know the metal is made of... i have seen some really bad one's over the year's toxic china metal's.... and if your wood pipe is burning it could be putting more carcinagins/bad smoke in your lung's... but as long as your wood pipe is made right from the right tree there should be no problem..

4. Just invest in a glass piece, can't go wrong, even if it's only a bowl!

5. Thanks for the answers :smoke: Luckily I only buy glass pieces but my friends have all had metal or wood pipes to smoke out of. I'll just try to bring my glass everywhere with me haha.

6. Yeah I would agree it always puts off a nasty taste to me with wood or aluminum or any other metal for that matter. Also I have heard that smoking out of aluminum can heighten your chance of Alzheimers in the future! Bad shit.

7. I read that glass pipes are not healthy at all 'cause hot smoke burns your cilia cells at a very high rate. That's BAD man..

I think if you're looking for a healthy pipe you should buy a metal one. Metal takes most of the heat off. That's why metal pipes get hot when you smoke a full bowl ;)

8. :confused: Eeeeh I don't know.... That kinda sounds pretty unlogical glass gets just as fuckin hot and doesnt burn anything but the weed. :D I think glass is probably healthier than all the other pipes and I think most people agree.

9. I think you should just hit a bong. :bongin:

10. I read that pipes have a better thc to tar ratio. I'd rather get high as fuck with light hits out of a nice glass pipe over time then be smoking all my shit in three hits that has less thc and more smoke that harms my lungs. Maybe a little cooler hit but if you don't torch a pipe it can be a coolish hit too. :)

11. Oh I definitely don't have anything against dry pipes. In fact, my spoons my favorite piece! I was just saying that cause the other guy was being a little dramatic. ;)
    Anyways, I'm going to go finish the bowl I have burning in my spoon. :smoke:

12. Haha yeah I mean how is glass hotter than metal? And bongs are still the shit I'm smoking my bubbler right now! :bongin: smoke on dude! :smoke:

13. whatever the source is. it would always cause the problem and is always dangerous to health.

14. [quote name='"FattyAssSnaps"']

I read that pipes have a better thc to tar ratio. I'd rather get high as fuck with light hits out of a nice glass pipe over time then be smoking all my shit in three hits that has less thc and more smoke that harms my lungs. Maybe a little cooler hit but if you don't torch a pipe it can be a coolish hit too. :)[/quote]

you definetly get higher with a bong.

15. Eh I don't know I get pretty high from a pipe a bong tends to be way too stoney and sleepy of a high sometimes... It's still fun to hit the bong in the evening or before bed but I usually use a pipe or vape. And also quit going off topic as the question is whether metal or wood pipes can cause health problems that glass ones don't. Not whether a bong or pipe is better lol.

16. [quote name='"FattyAssSnaps"']Eh I don't know I get pretty high from a pipe a bong tends to be way too stoney and sleepy of a high sometimes... It's still fun to hit the bong in the evening or before bed but I usually use a pipe or vape. And also quit going off topic as the question is whether metal or wood pipes can cause health problems that glass ones don't. Not whether a bong or pipe is better lol.[/quote]

hot metal can give off vapors so i'd say they could. and wood smoke is carcinogenic so if you're burning the wood it might cause health problems.

17. #17 So_savage420, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2012
    Yea like others said, if you get this cheap metal pipe from gas stations and shit most likely it's bad for you.

Here's one though I went to my local head-shop few days ago and they had what they call "celebration bowls" but it's made of marble, anyone know anything about marble bowls? They look safe to smoke out of to me.

18. [quote name='"buddahtoker"']Yea like others said, if you get this cheap metal pipe from gas stations and shit most likely it's bad for you.

Here's one though I went to my local head-shop few days ago and they had what they call "celebration bowls" but it's made of marble, anyone know anything about marble bowls? They look safe to smoke out of to me.[/quote]

probably just as safe as ceramic. i'd say marble would be safe. lol

19. I went through my browsing history and found a link where I read that metal pipe is better, so here ya go: Protect your lungs with Cool it Baby:cool:

Then I found this: Thermal Conductivity of some common Materials and Gases

Thermal Conductivity of Glass: 1.05
    Thermal Conductivity of Aluminum: 250

So when metal pipe get much hotter than a glass one might seem 'unlogical' to you but it's a fact :smoke:

20. [quote name='"ThePie"']

I went through my browsing history and found a link where I read that metal pipe is better, so here ya go: Protect your lungs with Cool it Baby:cool:

Then I found this: Thermal Conductivity of some common Materials and Gases

Thermal Conductivity of Glass: 1.05
    Thermal Conductivity of Aluminum: 250

So when metal pipe get much hotter than a glass one might seem 'unlogical' to you but it's a fact :smoke:[/quote]

That looks like a pretty bogus website dude no offense lol. :D glass is still better it releases no chemicals or anything.