Can plants have emotions

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by iskander323, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Ok so when I looked in my stash this morning things were not good, too many late, late nights sat trolling since I found GC :gc_rocks:

So anyway someone grows a little and has a little baby about a week or so from the chop and there was this bud rich branch bending under the weight and I couldn't resist it, the alternative was no weed on New Year!!:eek:
    So it got me thinking, or at least I feel guilty now so am thinking about it, and am starting to wonder if she's gonna get revenge on me somehow.

Are plants as complex living organisms capable of emotion??:confused_2:

Ps. I've not smoked her yet toking the last of mummy now so fingers crossed for her while she's milky (not oven dried her she's been in the airing cupboard and on top of my TV):smoking:

2. We are told to talk to our plants or play music for them...why not have emotions to understand what it is they hear? Call me crazy but I think they have emotions and can jack with you. We will hope you have no revenge and she understood. Perhaps give her a nice special drink for her giving up a little something for her and tell her sweet nothings. :p

3. No, plants simply do not have the physiology to have anything closely resembling pain or emotions.

4. of course some plants have emotions.

5. ya...I tend to scare my plants with threats if they don't produce good bud...:rolleyes:

6. I couldn't :eek:

i do play them music but i read somewhere they do like string instuments but don't like drums so nothing heavy in fact all my babies have heard is radiohead:D

She's still damp and very sticky but i gotta say i'm happy so far:smoke::smoking:

7. I think plants (and mushrooms) make up something like a symbiotic consciousness with organisms with nervous systems.

Like consider that THC is a vessel for one type of consciousness only the plant is only able to produce it and not experience it, UNTIL a plant actually gets ingested and incorporated into a conscious organism (a person for example)

Or just think about the entire different way you can look at the world when you're on shrooms, it is like the mushroom is temporarily becoming conscious through your brain and you're sharing in its thoughts because of this symbiotic relation ship.

So I guess I do think plants have emotions I just think that they need us to eat them for them to feel.

8. Now that is some deep thought...I like it! +rep

9. Haha. Awesome post.

10. plants have senses... some kinds of music help them grow, some kinds discourage growth. they can feel a crude version of what we would call pain and they are living breathing things.
    however, they dont have feelings like we do, they cant get angry or sad or scared. they can just sense.

11. Talking to, as well as playing classical music to, plants of all types has been shown to improve their quality of life. such as strength, resistance, growth speed. So hey its not unreasonable to think that right?

12. They may be but theres no way they can ever communicate with us of vice versa. Though i do find it interesting that we share common ancestors!

13. this.

14. Everytime I smoke weed I can hear tiny screams.

15. not like us, but yes.

16. #18 thedon420, Jan 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2010

I saw something on the science channel that plants have a complex of cells near the root meristems that may be able to propagate more complex electrochemical, similar to neurons, so some form of thought/emotion is possible.
    http://ds9.botanik.uni-bonn.de/zellbio/AG-Baluska-Volkmann/plantneuro/pdf/NeuroPlantTZ-Biologia.pdf
    it's a very long detailed read that probably goes deep into the specifics of this organ

17. Can plants have emotions? Fuck yeah they can, I just know this, even though i must seem like a retard but its serious and with a touch of subtle redundant humor.

Cus like right now I a'm so stone
    I am so stoned I am the pot plant

oh and my girlfriends concurs and observes

18. plants do not have a central nervous system, no intricate brain capable of thought. no medula oblangata, etc