Can people really tell the future?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by alicedee07, Sep 11, 2011.

1. #61 Account_Banned283, Sep 17, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011

yes but surely the student would of have to have been told about the test in the past for him to be able to spare his time for the sake of preparation for the test, so it is not the future that influences people in physical terms which is what we seem to be talking about, it is knowledge gained in the past about the idea of the future that seems to determine someones path.

2. it did. for a whole minute, most of which occurred at exactly time as the target minute.

3. lol so the past goes beyond just being a concept?

i don't like the way you're explaining/viewing this..
    it's quite simple to see that the future dictates our actions..

4. the past has physically been so no it isn't just a concept it is a moment in time we have experienced and been shaped by, some experiences shape our growth in more extreme ways than others, but the present and past always affect us no matter the circumstances of what had happened or is happening

ok i'll put it like this, if the future had any relevance or control over our lives we would not need to know about what could happen in the future beforehand, but since the future is just an idea we cant possibly be physically affected by it like it we can by the past and present..

ill revert back to your example to explain it more clearly, the student is not preparing for a future test solely out of the influence of the future, he is preparing for the test because he has previously been told about a test that could happen in the future and therefore is not physically affected by the future itself but an event which happened in the past which influenced his idea of the future

5. it kind of makes sense tho.. it's kind of like, when your young your told that in life that you have to get a stable job or some way to make money or you could end up homeless and on the streets and knowing that changes your future and drives you to avoid that... our anticipation of the future and how we would like to see it deff factors in to it but i think it makes sense if im saying right lol :smoke:

6. Are you sure 0_o

7. I would look at the whole future effecting the past two way street thing like this:

If the future was able oof informing or in any way effecting the past then that effectuall change would alter the future, and thus alter the alteration and thus alter the alteration, and thus alter the alteration...etc

It would loop

wouldn't work...

8. This seems to be a strictly cultural basis, but I would agree. We don't necessarily know how it will work out, but we try to setup guidelines and plans. It depends how you manage your time to agree that the future "dictates" it though..