Can one safely grow in an apartment?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by RasPlasch, Oct 11, 2012.

1. I have been apartment searching for the past few months and I have noticed a few things and derived a few questions and concerns. I need to ask to clear any confusion and concerns I have.

While apartment searching, talking with landlords and going into their offices, I have seem something that several have.. They have, on the wall, Certifications of being an official Narcotics Investigator. I believe 2 or 3 landlords had this on their wall, and another was on a Drug Investigation team as another career. I fully planned on smoking in the house, and in my current living environment I also grow for my own personal use. Is this common for landlords to have these certifications? Should I worry? As far as I knew before apartment searching, smoking weed inside wasn't a concern. My buddy and I smoke all the time in his and we have that area hotboxed but there's never any worry. I don't want some crazy landlord busting my door down because she smells weed. Exaggerating, but you get the idea..

Also, as I stated in the above paragraph, I grow for personal use. Is this possible in apartments? I never really have problems with smell.. I'm not growing large plants, just 1 or 2 plants producing around an oz maybe a little less so the smell isn't so bad. But would the apartment owners notice and be suspicious of a high electricity bill from the lights always being on? What about random apartment searches?
    Does anyone here grow in an apartment?

Thanks for reading. And for the advice

2. I grow in an apartment never had a problem maintenance guy came in a few times I shut the door to bedroom and spray freshener never sees or smells a thing. They only come in when I want them to

3. Yes. It's all about security.

Smell proof, sound proof, and away from anywhere people may go when you have company.

Carbon filter, duct muffler, and a secret grow space. Don't cheap out on the carbon filter. CAN or Phresh are the way to go.

4. Lots of discussion about growing in an apartment in the security sub-forum of the beginners section. Basically a lot of people can tell you that they've done it without problems...yet...but that doesn't mean it's safe. Just because I drive without a seatbelt and haven't killed myself doesn't mean it's safe for you to do so.

Fact is that the kinds of rights you would have in your own private house are compromised in an apartment -- your rights are balanced against the landlord's rights to protect his property. That can mean inspections and entry for repairs without your prior notice in some cases, on short notice in others.

It can be harder to set up good, stealthy ventilation with neighbors on all sides, and those neighbors are a lot closer to be able to smell anything wafting out. Just more risks in many ways.

Personally I wouldn't do it. You need your own, secure place to grow IMO.

5. I think you have to weigh it out, you already know the possible outcomes. Is it worth the reward?

Any random person on here can tell you sure it's safe or no it's not but unless they live in those specific apartments they do not know. If you think it's worth the risk though just take all the precautionary steps to make sure you're safe.

6. Safely is a pretty broad term... It's up to you to determine if the risk is worth it. No growing of marijuana, even "legal" medical grows in America are entirely safe.

7. Sure can, also depends who's renting it to you, so just out scope the inner workings for about 6mos before doing anything. Don't rush into it.

8. Do not grow in an apartment with a landlord like this.That shit on the wall is insane lol.

it's the difference between a guy that might not call police,and someone who obviously will.Aparatment hunting always sucks..

GL

9. If you grow in an apartment you CANT skimp on anything. you will need a carbon filter a quiet inline fan + muffler. Since your not growing many plants it would be easy to hide them in your closet or whatever. just make sure there is no reason for them to go in there (make sure the fuse box or anything is no there).

10. Good question man I'm going to set my closet up its big as hell too so why not. But it's all on how bad you want it You have to know your building and ppl in it, and if your wall to walk with your neighbors they might smell it too, but basicly ppl grow in some places you would never expect ppl grow in college dorms all shit like that . I'm a first time grower will start from seed in 2 weeks , but luckily my landlord knows I smoke sticky icky on a daily based and heavily, he owned the building I lived in with my fam before. Before moving in my new apt he told me me ppl smoke weed so I you will fit in lmao he's a old cool dude

11. At least at the apt community i work at, went it comes time for preventative maintenance we go through every room checking for issues. Not like i would tell anyone, but many would.

12. My apartment is safe as hell. Its a Townhouse no inspections nothing. The maintenance guy is afraid of dogs so he will never enter mine without me being there. My grow space is in the closet in a spare bedroom never has a reasonto go in there what so ever

13. Its possible. But i would prefer having neigbors further away. Light leaks, smell leaks.. That shit can get u caught. If u dont have good vent or sufficient space dont grow. Or if u dont have the funds to invest in a quality setup u should just save ur money.

Idk about growing in an apt owned by a narco investigator tho! I would have left jus bc i saw that on his wall haha. Goodluck op. start a journal if u end up growing!!

:hello:
    Dutchie

14. [quote name='"MIjbr90190"']At least at the apt community i work at, went it comes time for preventative maintenance we go through every room checking for issues. Not like i would tell anyone, but many would.[/quote]

They have to give you 24 to 48hours notice if I'm correct. Right?

15. ^ I think it depends on the state. I know in california a 24-48hr notice is required.

16. im in the same situation, but i live in an apt complex, arround 400 apts in the area thinking about closet but wont this make my cloth smell funky grassY?

17. [quote name='"tuko007"']im in the same situation, but i live in an apt complex, arround 400 apts in the area thinking about closet but wont this make my cloth smell funky grassY?[/quote]

I grew 2 right next to a whole bunch of clothes, and not mine my gf's and she didn't say anything.

My complex left me a note yesterday saying on the 18th they were coming to inspect shit, washer/dryer, co2 levels, fire alarms etc....now I have to break down my bathroom where the grow is just in case they need to go in there....being stealthy sucks lol

18. [quote name='"theblackguy420"']

They have to give you 24 to 48hours notice if I'm correct. Right?[/quote]

For non-emergencies. If there is any kind of emergency we are allowed to come in with no more notice than a phone call. Theres been plenty of times emergencies have occuree and the other tenant has no idea it happened, i.e water heater let loose, bad toilet leaks. Either way you look there is a potential for emeregencies and that will put a serious damper on a grow if continual work is needed to repair what is wrong.

19. [quote name='"esrplaya"']^ I think it depends on the state. I know in california a 24-48hr notice is required.[/quote]

Yea cuzz usually I get a letter before 3 to two days ahead of time sometimes a weak so I'm not as worried as I was before lol

20. [quote name='"MIjbr90190"']

For non-emergencies. If there is any kind of emergency we are allowed to come in with no more notice than a phone call. Theres been plenty of times emergencies have occuree and the other tenant has no idea it happened, i.e water heater let loose, bad toilet leaks. Either way you look there is a potential for emeregencies and that will put a serious damper on a grow if continual work is needed to repair what is wrong.[/quote]

Lol thx for the 411, but only time my landlord has ever came in the house was for inspections and I always got notice ahead of time, he's not the greatest landlord snd shit dont get fixed as fast as other landlords . My apt is away from all others apts that are wall to wall I lucked out lol. But yea when I lived wit mom and Sis someone was always home and never had emergency issues or random walk ins. We always got 2 day to 2 weeks notice ,basically I got the ghetto landlord lmao I Ben doing research for a month or two now haven't got the set up yet but it waiting at my bros crib till I'm ready. I'm still debating on setting one up in the big dresser or just go with the closet grow I can get a pound with the closet grow and close to the same with a cabinet of good size n height so just debating lol thx again for your input. #gcistheshitttt