can my job do this?

Discussion in 'General' started by nawky, Mar 17, 2012.

1. As of next week that will be the 3rd week I am not scheduled at all. I'm kinda sleepy and ill most more when I wake up but no I am not fired and did nothing to get fired. Actually a co worker of ly same position literally called out 50% of her shifts has some days per week. While me I've done nothing at work never written up or called out. Honestly one of the managers HATE ( I MEAN FUCKING HATE ME) . whiles the others just don't like me.... Honestly it really depressed me because I notice not a lot but a noticable amount of people in my life try to carry me/ take advantage. Idk why I'm so nice not even a kind of person to argue or fight.

Anyway.. can I call like human resources or something? Just wondering if this is legal

2. Yeah dude, they can do whatever the fuck they want.

Start looking for a new job.

3. What, is it legal for them to not give you hours? Unless you signed a contract stating required minimum hours and shit, they don't have to give you hours.

4. They don't want you anymore.

But they don't want to be the bad guy either,so they figure if they cut your hours enough,you'll quit.

5. [quote name='"Berzerker42500"']They don't want you anymore.

But they don't want to be the bad guy either,so they figure if they cut your hours enough,you'll quit.[/quote]

Yup that's true. Just look for a new job man

6. You can ask for more hours.

If that doesn't work see if you have a HR number somewhere, I always liked asking my boss for it personally...But I raise hell on the daily.:cool:

7. They are trying to get you to quit so they don't have to fire you. Try and get fired so you can collect unemployment until you find a new job. Fuck it, abuse the system, everyone else does.

8. I don't think you can collect unemployment if you get fired :confused:. Laid off due to shortage of work would be what you want, even then you still need a certain amount of hours to be get it.

When I left the coffee shop to start my apprenticeship I tried so hard to get laid off so I could collect it. But by the time head of management finished my papers they decided that I was leaving to go to school, that was classified as a form of quitting.

But maybe there's other ways of getting it that I'm not familiar with.

9. [quote name='"Leesh"']

I don't think you can collect unemployment if you get fired :confused:. Laid off due to shortage of work would be what you want, even then you still need a certain amount of hours to be get it.

When I left the coffee shop to start my apprenticeship I tried so hard to get laid off so I could collect it. But by the time head of management finished my papers they decided that I was leaving to go to school, that was classified as a form of quitting.

But maybe there's other ways of getting it that I'm not familiar with.[/quote]

You can get unemployment when fired.

It just can't be for something you did knowingly (late after warning, getting in an accident and failing a drug test, ect) there's several guides if you search google.

You need to be working full time though OP, you can collect unemployment for a part time job.

10. If you live in an "At Will" work state they can pretty much fire you for any reason they want as long as it's not discriminatory and even then they will just call it something else. Also in a lot of places such as where I live, if you were working full time and have your hours cut to anything below 36 hours a week you can file for partial unemployment to make up for it. You might as well try and file anyway. Most employers will fight it out of spite but unless you have a bunch of write ups or they have proof of you doing something horribly wrong you will win as long as you show up to all the hearings (which is easy to do where I'm at because it's always over the phone on a three way call between you, the labor board, and your employer).

I've never actually drawn unemployment but I've had plenty of friends that have. In pretty much every case the employer fought it just to be dicks but my friends always won because the employer had no leg to stand on.

11. Yeah man, what they said, just kill them...

12. I got fired from my last job for poor attendance, but I had proof that they wouldn't do shit to the one employee who was literally up to an hour late everyday. I was only 3-5 minutes here and there and had a real reason. The dude who'd come in late all the time would come in with McDonald's bags and wouldn't even offer to stay late to make up the time.

I filed for unemployment, the place that fired me tried to fight it, but unemployment instantly denied their appeal. Never had to go to a hearing and was able to use up the UE.

And MD is an 'at will' state, so they don't need a reason to fire you, but they don't have a reason, so they're trying to get you to quit. Unless you left something out..

13. yes actually i was hoping just by being employed it would atleast be mandatory to schedule me 1 day a week or something idk.

i KNOW for sure they want me to ragequit but im not quitting. i will actually keep this job to piss them off if i have to because its really fucked up i didnt do anything to those assholes.

I already went another job interview and i have stopped my job search. The manager said "you should be good to go" and that he has to set me up with the other manager the next time i come in ( i guess to bring papers and seal the deal) anyways it certainly seemed like i got the job but idk everyjob is diff idk when he will get back to me.

that interview was last sunday. My friend works there and he put in word for me. If he doesnt contact me by tuesday im going to show up there.

14. Yeah, show them you want the job. Typically works. If you have any campgrounds around you and you like being outdoors, they might be starting to hire for the season. I'm hoping to get a job at one near me when they open.

Edit: But you shouldn't just stop searching even if you think you'll get a job there.

15. thats capitalism.

16. Also,it helps to be a part of the cliques.

I wouldn't kiss ass,so I was never really a part of any of the cliques at my last job.

17. ive had this experience in department stores. they hire more part timers so they dont have to pay benefits...cheap bastards