Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Can marijuana use actually cause psychosis?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by GimpyKush, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Weed does not cause psychosis, it reveals it.

2. :hello: [​IMG]

3. This is just my opinion, but I think most people confuse the paranoia associated with marijuana as a type of psychosis, or mental illness.

People act erratic, almost hysterically sometimes. But to be honest, I attribute this to a "Placebo" effect of propaganda and media on a user's state of mind, rather than the drug itself. Yes, it does cause paranoia, but let's look at it:

90% of people who are paranoid feel like somebody is going to get them, or somebody will find out. That person that will all of a sudden be like "OMG HIDE THE SHIT THE COPS ARE COMING."

This can be attributed to the illegality of the drug. I'm fairly sure that being drunk during prohibition caused the same paranoia associated with being caught.

The other 10% feel, like they're "dying". Which all in all, is just a poor estimation of the drug's effects beforehand. It could also be a huge number of variables that's involved as well, like eating baked goods, or smoking concentrates, or the asshole of the group dumps a fuckton of kief on the new guys bowl. No seasoned smokers seem to have this problem, so in my opinion, it's all mental.

I do not believe Cannabis causes actual psychosis. The paranoia and hysteria involved tend to come from the stigma of illegality, or the improper use of the drug on those inexperienced.

4. If you are predispositioned to a psychotic illness (like bipolar disorder/schizophrenia) then weed will likely bring it to surface much more quickly than it normally would show up. Marijuana does not "cause" psychosis, as the people that suffer are predispositioned to psychotic breakouts in the first place

5. Well since life can cause psychosis I think the 10% statistic is kinda low and it sounds made up by the people who wrote the article. Alcohol related psychosis is almost a sure thing if you drink heavily for a while. I would like to see the experiment that they did. Was it a long term double blind? The thing is if they told people with psychosis that marijuana would heal them than 50% of them would see improvement. It works both ways however and they implied that marijuana would could cause psychosis then patients would start to develop psychosis.

6. One must also take into account the ratio of THC and CBD levels. Genetically enhanced crops with unatural levels of THC is risky due to the properties of THC. CBD studies show that CBD will moot the effect(read: bad effects) of THC. Moral: dont strive for genetically enhanced crops with altered psychoactive levels. Keep it like mother nature intended.

7. [quote name='"brsbent"']One must also take into account the ratio of THC and CBD levels. Genetically enhanced crops with unatural levels of THC is risky due to the properties of THC. CBD studies show that CBD will moot the effect(read: bad effects) of THC. Moral: dont strive for genetically enhanced crops with altered psychoactive levels. Keep it like mother nature intended.[/quote]

Genetically altered crops are as nature intended unless the splice genes in a lab. Which I highly doubt they do commercially with marijuana yet.

8. Not talking medical here. One word: skunk. Its a fucking master of making crazies. Theres also other strains with unhealthy levels of thc.

Also, semantics dude. Im foreign.

9. Can you cite your source that THC makes you crazy. Just to clarify I am not attacking your argument I just want more info because I can't find any legitimate information that claims THC induced psychosis.

10. Cause it? Don't think so. There are too many factors involved to point at marijuana as the cause of a psychosis

11. Im on the app with my phone atm, but I will try to find sources when I've got a computer handy. Just to clarify, I'm not saying thc makes one crazy, I'm just saying that thc is the substance that has the main psychoactive properties of the herb, and that too much of it without the other main(cbd) is not something you want to be smoking regularily if you cherish your state of mind. I do enjoy some sporadic skunk though.

12. We can't really say its "likely" to, since any sort of cannabis-exarcerbated psychosis is rare.

It possibly COULD make a predisposed individual's psychosis symptoms more pronounced, but its much more LIKELY that it won't have any effect.

13. Its possible if you already have dormant mental problems

14. [quote name='"brsbent"']Im on the app with my phone atm, but I will try to find sources when I've got a computer handy. Just to clarify, I'm not saying thc makes one crazy, I'm just saying that thc is the substance that has the main psychoactive properties of the herb, and that too much of it without the other main(cbd) is not something you want to be smoking regularily if you cherish your state of mind. I do enjoy some sporadic skunk though.[/quote]

Ok thanks I have some specific interest in this topic I will try to find info as well.

15. I seriously doubt that there's such a thing as THC induced psychosis. I know people who use concentrates (like BHO) almost exclusively for years and their mental states are just fine. I myself went through a period of smoking high potency herb for about two years straight, along with a lot of my other friends as well who I were dealing to. Not one person got schized out, or had any alteration of their mental integrity.

16. Weed (or Lsd, which is a common myth) DOES NOT cause Schizophrenia or psychosis. If you have the gene than you have had it since you were born but the symptoms don't usually appear until your a young adult (18-22). Weed MIGHT cause the symptoms to appear early. So if your in your late 20's and don't have any symptoms then you are most likely fine. Also weed naturally contains a anti-psychotic chemical (the type of drug used to treat Schizophrenia) so it is less likely to induce symptoms early than psychedelics. If your gonna get it than your gonna get it. Nothing you can do about.