Can marijuana trigger a heart attack?

Discussion in 'General' started by rxy, Feb 25, 2010.

1. #1 rxy, Feb 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2010
    Marijuana Said to Trigger Heart Attacks

I just got a ekg and stress test my heart is fine, so is my blood pressure, cholesterol. I've been smoking for awhile is this government propaganda, so they can keep it illegal any truth in it? I always thought pot was a vasodilator

2. It's true on the blood pressure thing, from what I've gathered. I think you're only at real risk if you're prone to heart problems though.

3. It may if you have pre existing conditions, but no healthy person is going to die from a heart attack because they smoked weed. Weed speeds up your heart rate and LOWERS your blood pressure.

4. This.

Unless you have an underlying heart condition then you will be fine.

5. Im pretty sure ive had a mild heart attack right after smoking weed than smoking a cigarette. I got into my car with a friend and he said he was yelling at me trying to get my attention for about a minute I was zoned out resting my head on wheel, not a cool feeling.

6. I've passed out from taking massive bong hits.

Like just for a few seconds at a time but that's enough to make you fall down if you're standing up. Almost dropped a bong one time.

7. Never under estimate the power of a massive bong rip!

8. ahah yess ripping the GB and then just falling backwards onto the couch :smoking:

9. Sounds nothing like a heart attack.

10. due to problems before sounds like.

11. I have experienced this!
    It's like bachardyia from my blood pressure being a little <60 bpm
    And hypertension from my heart being so high
    Or somethin..
    Feels like my heart is beating out of rhythm, I feel minor pains, watch feels like minute electrical charges, and at times like it's on the verge of explosion, until I stand up.

12. No, Heart Attack is nigh impossible with weed.

The governmental claim that it can cause heart attacks are based on an anti-drug study that studied arrythmia produced by illicit drugs. The only issues that weed produced were; mild increase in heart rate and rarely a mild innocuous arrythmia.

So clearly weed is a deadly drug. (sarcasm)

If your doctor lets you drink coffee, you can smoke weed.

13. My heart beats faster while I'm high for sure.

If I focus though I swear I can actually slow it down.

14. One time I was hitting chronic out of the bong for a while with a few of my buddies. Got super blown. Went out and started throwing the football (really fun baked). I hadn't eaten and began to feel extremely weak. I see the kids mom of the kid we were hangin with at his house, and feel myself fainting. Black out and collapse right in front of her. Wow felt like an idot but it was hard not to laugh.

15. You got that completely backwards, sir.

Bradycardia is when your heartbeat is too slow. <60 bpm
    Hypertension is when your blood pressure is too high

16. what a lazy article.

he knows it increases the risk but cant say why, and then the article doesnt even link to a source.

it basically says: without any proof, i say that pot can increase your risk for heart attack, but i don't know why that is.

17. your right if you can have sex you can get high on grass. I am sure that sex does the same thing Thanks

18. It could have been something else entirely but I do remember my chest being the problem so I just assumed it was like a mild attack but I really don't know.

19. If you had a heart attack you would know for sure. Sounds like you just zoned out or had a mild anxiety attack, that's common with strong Sativa strains.

If Cannabis can cause a heart attack, lets look at the odds. How many people have smoked Cannabis? Hundreds of millions, if not billions in history. How many have died? 0.

Raising your heart rate =/= Giving you a heart attack.