Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Can marijuana help with depression?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Robert A. McAtee, Oct 27, 2022.

1. Can marijuana help with depression?

• Like Like x 1
  2. It helps my Bipolar Disorder. I like Indica strains. I believe that along with the Big Pharma meds I take the cannabis keeps me on an even keel. I notice a difference if I don't smoke for a few days. I start getting tense.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. I don't think it's a 1 to 1 medicine...

There's a saying about drinking a beer before teeing off on the golf course...helps to loosen up your muscles and relax your swing (1st tee box jitters). There's a similar saying about having a drink before going into a large uncomfortable social event...or before public speaking...have a quick drink...relax the nerves...

Thats how I relate cannabis to 'curing or helping with' depression.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Helps with me. I have been depressed since I was four. (When I found out zactly what depression was, later in life, thats when I realized I was depressed early FWIW, I started kindergarten at the same age, four)
    How it helps: I am still depressed, but dont care!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Anything can help with depression...A new hobby, readin' a good book, whatever takes you out of that mindset and puts you in a better one.*

*I only play a doctor on television.:coolalt:

• Like Like x 2
  6. How do you get your Medical Marijuana card for Bipolar Disorder ?

7. How do you get your mmj card for Bipolar Disorder ?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Depends on what state you are in. They all have different requirements

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I didn't, I got it for back pain, but my doctor knows I use it for Bipolar. Virginia doesn't have a list of qualifying conditions, it's strictly between you and your doctor. If the two of you decide cannabis will help, you get a recommendation.

10. Me: not 'bi-polar', but have Aspergers

11. I don't think it does. I suffer from extreme depression due to my health and while it takes my mind off things for a while, when I come down from a high, I'm much worse than before. So I TRY to either be fairly drunk when I come down, or at least take a few pills as a chaser.

13. Taming THC - an Article by Russo . explains how D limonene helps with depression and is in certain types of cannabis

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. @Galaxy420
    It’s been a while since I read that one. Thanks for sharing
    Russo is the MAN!:thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. That's dependant on the cause of the depression and also the terp profile of the strain. The short answer is yes, with stipulations.

• Like Like x 1
  16. This right here. Do you want to stop being depressed, or do you want to be able to live with your depression?

Big study recently confirmed what I've long believed. Depression results from your choices and actions (and sometimes outside forces, like a loved one dying) and not from an underlying chemical imbalance.

If you want to stop being depressed you need to change your life. Which is difficult and many people aren't willing to put in the work to do it. Part of the reason prescription anti-depressants are so insanely popular right now.

If you just want to keep living how you are, and want to be more comfortable in your depression weed will accomplish that just like an SSRI will. Both will also make it more difficult and you less likely to change your life.

The two things aren't entirely mutually exclusive, but in practically for most people you need to choose one. Sobriety and improving your life, or high and comfortable with your current shitty life?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Last time I quad posted was because it lagged and I clicked the button 4 times, but I swear I only clicked it once this time :roflmao:

18. I question the validity of that study as we know for a fact that insufficient amounts of key hormones plays a huge part in how one feels.

• Like Like x 2
  19. it is lack of Anandamide for most people - N arachidonoylethanolamine . the feel good bliss compound that is created in the persons cells when the cells are active and is also the compound that THC bio-mimics and provides similar effects when THC is metabolized ......
    so many people have Severe endocannabinoid deficiencies and this certainly leads into a depressed state of being . providing some way for your body to create more anandamide helps with that issue ... being clam creates anandamide, being in love also . Praying does it, you can supplement other people from a far via vibing them with positive energy flow and their cells like a tuning fork will respond in Kind via making more anandamide to match that frequency ... sending people hate vibes depletes your anadamide and theirs too , just saying

and here is the motherload of info on how to effect endocannabinoid system tone with diet - Cannabimimetics
    https://www.sativaisticated.com/wp-...search-for-the-Endocannabinoid-System-ECS.pdf

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. CBD could help with anadamide issue as it suppresses the FAAH enzyme that breaks down anadamide, allowing anadamide to remain active longer.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. @sweedright
    a great article to show how PPAR transcription factors are involved with the endocananbinoid system and hormone regulation
    Cannabinoids go nuclear - Evidence of activation of the peroxisome proliferator activated receptors - DDG link
    Cannabinoids go nuclear - Evidence of activation of the peroxisome proliferator activated receptors at DuckDuckGo

edit - Yeah CBD could but its not going into the cells like THC will ... CBD relies on the persons ECS to be functioning correctly via antagonizing cb2 to create more MAGL, DAGL, FAAH that then serves to biodegrade more lipids into endocannabinoid signaling biochemicals.
    THC a as a free flow, free form non selective lipid, agonist cannabinoid takes the same pathways and supplements anandamide

• Informative Informative x 2