Can Ironhead’s Method for Success be applied to a Deep Water Culture grow?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Greern, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Hey, so I just joined this forum today, and I was hoping for some advice on this particular topic. Ironhead’s method seems to be the shangri-la of nutrient guides for coco coir and other soilless mediums. However, can it be used with the same degree of results in a deep water culture? (Standalone system with perlite or clay pebbles as a media.)

2. It MIGHT work in DWC, but it might not, because the moderating influence of CoCo will be missing.
    Personally, I wouldn't do this, because there are easier methods available for DWC.

All you really need is a one-part nute like Greenleaf Megacrop from seedling to harvest, and some pH up/dn.
    General Hydroponics also has a simple solid nute system.
    The Lucas formula is also a little easier.

The single best labor saving device for DWC is an external reservoir with a float valve to gravity-feed the plant(s) reservoir(s). Checking pH and ppm every other day or so, and keeping the external res full, is the only maintenance needed.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thank you very much for the detailed reply. So in your opinion it’s a no-go. My plan is to have two stand alone systems (both have a modular reservoir) set up under the electric sky 300 in a 2x4 grow tent. I’m pretty confident in the GH flora trio, with the addition of hydroguard (I’ve seen stellar reviews on it for maintaining root health and cleanliness). I’m looking for other nutrients to further supplement growth. I was also wondering if there was any way to kind of simulate the moderating effect, like instead of full strength straight up I’d obviously go 1/4 strength or so and work my way up. I’m looking to get the best I can out of my plants in terms of: health, vigour, yield, potency, and flavour. I can sacrifice time and effort, but do you have suggestions for stuff that isn’t really necessary, that will help with the aspects I mentioned above?

4. I just finished a DWC grow using the 1-part solid nute Greenleaf Megacrop, and a little CalMag.
    The GH trio is fine, at around half strength.
    I believe all those supplements are counter productive, because they can mess with ppm and pH, and harm yield.
    The only other things I use are clorox which is much cheaper than hydroguard to prevent root rot, and pH up/dn.

This simple style produces huge, healthy plants and yield.

My Electric Sky ES300 is getting about 12 oz dry from a 3 x 3 ft tent (Zambesa Super Silver Haze plus Mephisto Fantasmo Express autos). Careful, this light can burn plants, so make sure you have plenty of vertical height.