Can I use these Ikea LED lights?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Dre1136, Jun 22, 2011.

1. I recently came across a good amount of these Dioder lights and I wonder if they can be used for making a LED fixture of some kind.

LINK TO IKEA LED LIGHTS

The LED light strip is about 3 feet long and fill;ed with LED's. The light run the whole spectrum of colors from bright white to dark blue. The light output on the site says it puts out 6.0w... Is that per LED or total... because if it was total then that would suck because I would need 23 to grow a decent plant... Anyways here are some pics of me messing around with it

So my ????'s

Any chance of this being used as lighting?

if not, would it make a good addition to flowering or vegging?

2. These are the lights here...

Attached Files:

3. haha really?

4. So it appears for this to be fruitful I'd only need 100 strips ....:rolleyes: and at $50 a strip...yeah

5. why the hell not... I mean I'm all CFL now and I am debating whether I want to step my game up to a 400w or two 150w MH lights... So anything I can use to supplement and assist my CFL's would be sweet

6. don't waste your money/time on led's, they're not ready yet. go with hid lighting....

7. LEDs are ready. Cheap LEDs are not.:D

8. I mean people have grown some pretty nice shit with LED's... But I thought it'd be cool to use these

9. To answer your questions,

No, and no.

Those lights will do absolutely nothing for you. You can grow fantastic plants with LEDs, but those are not grow lights.

10. well, yeah, you're right. BUT, there is no comparing them to hid lighting. they can't come close to hid in the yield department.

11. i have to agree with this, from what i have seen of the different LED grows they simply dont give the amount of light necessary to properly flower a plant. alot of the grows i have seen have ended up going with HID lighting for flowering and using the LED panel as supplemental lighting. i have noticed that they produce great vegetative growth.

12. #12 Jazzyj, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    That's just not true. There are some great grow journals on this site where people grow fantastic buds with LEDs. You just have to get the right light

13. I had a discussion in length with my hydroponic guy, plants can be used to grow plant but They are good for secondary light, Like I have a 250w with 4 15w leds around the side, The only reason I got them is because I found them cheap on craigslist. They work good for secondary right because you can get them close the the plant but they do not have great penetration. I have never personally had any experience with expensive LEDs like 90w ufo's and such but from what i have seen I wouldn't do strictly LED grow i have been looking at these new products by Kessil, but they are extremely pricey Kessil Lighting- The Spectral Revolution.

14. #14 Jazzyj, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Well of course you're not going to get good bud penetration with 15 watt lights. I'm looking into a 300 watt led for my first grow, then after I harvest I want to buy a 500w or 600w. It's amazing what those lights can do.

15. No I meant with leds in general, they cant get down into bushy plants.

16. Again, there are plenty of LED grows on these forums. Check them out yourself.

17. ^This.

Perhaps, but what you don't see are grow journals on failed attempts. LEDs are hit-and-miss, some growers have done well with them but way too many still have problems, particularly in flowering, so I can't yet recommend it as the (expensive) way to go.