Can I use grow medium in a hydro bucket?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by puppetmstr, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Before I continue...:bongin: I LOVE GRASSCITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok I have a hydro setup but no rockwool or any medium (that I know of) and I germinated a seed and it popped. Now the choice is hydro, or soil. The soil I have is miracle gro moisture control. But I also have MG Peat Moss and MG Perlite. So Can I mix peat moss and perlite together for a medium? Or add it to this other soil that I have that doesn't have anything in it? And could I use that medium in the netpot of a hydro setup?

Or could I just grow like that in a growbox as soil.

Sorry if none of this makes any sense, I am tired and baked lol.

2. nobody? I really don't wanna keep it between the papertowels for much longer. Its been around 35 hours now...

3. Try searching out the Hempy Bucket.
    There are some real hints on what can be used in hydro.
    My first hydro grow was in 1/4- gravel .. and it worked reasonably well.

4. There are steps that lead to success,..... do the homework, build the environment, THEN germ a seed

You've got it backwards but whatever you do, don't let it see anything with the MG name on it, the stuff wasn't made for weed, especially seedlings and very young plants

no, you cannot use that combination in hydro.

Go buy the right stuff, it's like $4, called hydroton. Even before that though, go do the homework first!!

5. already have. I am just tired of waiting for my supplies to come in the mail so I am trying to grow soil based until my order is shipped here. Then It will be pure hydro from there. The real question was about the peat moss and perlite. The hydro was just because i was bored and wanted to know.

but before you guys answered I just went ahead and planted a seed in soil and hoped for the best :p

Also, you should move to Sure To Grow (STG) hydroton is going outta style in hydro setups now a days.

6. #6 Hmmmmm, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2010
    In the miracle grow? Good luck with that ;) :wave:

I've been using the same 100lb bag of hydroton for a good 10-12 yrs. To go spend more money so I don't have to rinse the hydroton (takes MAYBE 30 seconds) seems kinda fruitless.

And hydroton is reusable, time and time and time again.

Just went and looked for some user feedback, not much positive being said, you may want to wait till the stuff is a little more proven.

7. Hydroton is the one of the best mediums and cheapest in the long run due to the fact it can be reused over n over.

8. what :confused:

Got mates that sell and all they move these days is expanded clay and cococoir.

For someone that did no homework on mediums and decided MG soil was the best option, how did you come across this tidbit of info on hydroton "going out of style"?

9. lol at this. :rolleyes:

10. #10 Hmmmmm, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2010
    wait a second. You've done the homewrok-reading hydro journals, reading hydro stickies, examining different methods, etc

Built and tested the environment.
    You don't even have the system yet! Let alone assembled, running and established with balanced water, etc. Have you run hydro in this room before? You already know what the humidity is going to be,....the heat,....the air exchange,.....I don't see how you could have ""already have" without the actual equipment?????

Yet you germinated a seed in soil, just till your stuff gets there??? Not sure where you ordered it from but most shipping is a week, lifespan of a MJ plant is 4 months. Your stuff will arrive and you'll have a 1 week old plant in soil. What is the overall goal with this plant?? Will you have room to run a soil plant next to your hydro set up? You're ok with having 1 plant, at least 2 weeks ahead of all the others? I just don't see the purpose to germing a seed at this point in time. Enlighten me,lol.

I mean, if you were SO eager to put the cart before the horse, I could understand germing and going into hydroton or rockwool, but soil??? With a hydro set up in the mail??

BAck to the homework part dude. Not being mean but you're all askew.

1. Do the homework

2. BUILD AND TEST THE ENVIRONMENT

3. plant a seed

11. All good advice. Slow down, back up, change gear. I do grow room design, development and consultation and also stick around tovhelp many of my customers get off the ground. Before even teaching them what the poster above stated, I pound into them, the importance of patience.

PATIENCE and how quickly you acquire it will determine your career as a grower.

This is where you do you very best to take this criticism constructively as opposed to defensively. Constructively gets much more respect and continued help ;)