Can I use Float Valve In Control Res to shut on/off RO Filter?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by hakav3li, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Hey guys my grow room is next to my washing machine. So I'm hoping to put a T on the water supply so i can run a hose straight to my RO filter system. Then i would like my RO filter to dispense water straight into my Control Reservoir where I mix my nutes at.

I found a 5 stage RO filter on craigslist for 50 bucks. The problem with it is it's "missing a spring inside which is suppose to make the water stop coming out the spout. the water keeps flowing through the spout without it." Did a quick google search and am wondering if its the Auto-shut off valve?

If the auto-shut off valve is broken can i just let it be and let it continuosly flow? And i just use my Float valve to shut it off? Or will it continuously try to filter water even without flow and wear out filters 24/7?

2. Depends on what is actually wrong with it.
    Not sure I'd wanna buy a used system though. You could end up spending another chunk on new filters for it even if it is just a broken spigot (which a float valve could replace). Auto shut-off valve is pry $15-$20 if that's the actual problem.

For $150 I got one of these and it comes with extra 3 stage filters.
    Works great. I put a T in the line to the spigot, and ran a line to a float valve in my storage res.

3. HI..

Found this article about RO filter auto shut off valves and the reason for using it.
    How RO Shutoff Valves Work

They look pretty cheap on MeBay. As Crankz said, be cautious about a used system. If the pre filters are dirty or the RO membrane is at the end of its life, you can spend additional money on the needed filters to make the system functional again.

On a positive note... I love my RO filter and am glad I invested in one.

Good luck!

4. Most R/O systems require a pressurized storage tank for the shut off valve to "work" properly.
    The storage tank provide the required back pressure on the valve/membrane to keep the system from oscillating.
    Using just a shut off with no pressure tank will wear out the membrane and cause oscillating.
    Been there, done that.