Can I Use Either Of These Cfl Bulbs?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by tubbsy41, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Hi, could someone please take a look at the attached pictures and tell me;
    Can I use either of them to grow?
    Which of the two bulbs is better?
    If you live in the U.K and grow could you suggest any other bulbs for indoors that won't cost me a fortune?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Clearer pics

Sent from my HTC Desire C

Attached Files:

3. You can. Really depends on how big your grow is. The bulbs that youve shown are probably 2700k from the lumens the box show. These are for flowering. You eant some daylight 6500k for vegging. You want your cfl wattage, not equivalant wattage, to be roughly 100 watts for 1 plant and an additional 50+ watts for each plant extra you may have. If you add 2700k or 3500k or mixed spectrum with the 6500k's during veg, its ok. Additional lughting doesnt hurt, just watch the temps. For flower, you want for the most part 2700k soft white cfls. Again, make sure you have plenty of cfl watts and a high lumen count. Roughly 10,000+ lumens for 1 plant for both vegging and flowering. Also, cfls should be placed roughly 2-6 inches away from you plants for best lumen usage.
    Hope this helps a little and good luck. :D

4. okay, how do I find out CFL wattage? This all sounds mad to me, guess I'll have to learn what all this means lol

5. those are 23 watts, it states it on the box. those are quite expensive so I would advise buying Wilkinsons own brand, they are usually about £1 or £2 for a 20w bulb. or if you don't mind spending £20 eBay have 125watt cfls, these work well and are often more convenient due to the larger single bulb over a load of smaller ones.

you should be looking at a minimum of 60 watts per 1 square foot of canopy, but 100w per foot is a good target to aim for. the size or amount of plants is irrelevant. keep the bulbs within a few inches of the plants, 1-2 inches being optimal.

6. The box will show the wattage as well as on the bulbs ballast. The pics you posted show the wattage on the box, i believe they were 23 watts? I noticed that the box alsi shiwed the lumens, i believe they were 1600??
    They box will also show what wattage they are equivalant to incandescent bulbs. Dont worry about that though. For the most part it is irrelevant to what you are using them for. Just go with the bulbs wattage. If you get 2 42 watt daylight bulbs at 6500k ( kelvin rating) which pump out roughly 2800 lumens apiece, then you would have:
    84 total watts
    5200 total lumens.
    Just total all wattage and all lumens until you feel it is adequete.
    So, with this amount you may need some more.
    Fot example, my grow for one plant has 3x42 6500k @ 2800 apiece, 1x23 2700k @ 1600 lumens.
    Grand total:
    149 total cfl watts with 10,000 lumens.
    Take a look at my plant in my journal
    Only 1 pic so far at 17 days from popping up
    http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1221460-Cfl-Box-Grow,-Round-#2

7. the "equivalent" watts is an American thing really, most cfls in the UK just simply state the wattage. I think cfls are a new thing in America, so they compare it to the light output of incandescent lamps, these aren't suitable for growing so it's all a bit irrelevant

8. the "equivalent" watts is an American thing really, most cfls in the UK just simply state the wattage. I think cfls are a new thing in America, so they compare it to the light output of incandescent lamps, these aren't suitable for growing so it's all a bit irrelevant
    </blockquote> dude you could be a god send seeing as you made that so clear, how many of these cfls do you recommend?

9. I'm sure I added a comment on here but it doesn't seem to have been added

Search for green lamp 125w cfl on eBay UK price £20

At the mo I'm using the style of cfl pictured above and getting very slow growth. Those green lamps emit both frequencies of light needed for veg and flower so no need to change bulb just timings. These are what I aim to upgrade to in the next couple of days

10. Oh and you only need one per plant you can also buy them with hood as well for £30-40 depending on seller.

11. cheers mate, I guess one of these lights is the way to go :)

12. what you want to look at on the package is the Kelvin numbers 6500 is the daylight bulbs used in Veging . i use 8 to 12 in my veg room depending on # of plants .
    for Flower you get 2700K but if you want 4 to 5oz + you need HPS for flowering --- Erb i use 400watt HPS and 8 of the soft white 2700 k to flower