can i use a 400w HPS in my 3x1.5x5.5 tent?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by ghsbum08, May 4, 2010.

1. #1 ghsbum08, May 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2010
    I want to purchase i 3x1.5x5.5 grow tent with two 4" inline duct fans(one for intake and the other for outtake). I want to get a 400w hps and i was wondering if you guys would think it will get too hot in there to grow my weed.

2. with a 400w for sure, u will need a fan and a air cool hood and may be an A/C for summer, i strongly recommend gettin an A/C. I have a 4x4 tent and it gets hot with 6" inline fan, air cool hood, it goes up to 89, 90 degrees

3. Do you mean it still gets that hot, with the Air cooled hood venting the hot air out of the tent?

Do you think this would be the same with a HPS in a cool tube, that blew the air straight out the tent?

I really want to upgrade my indoor grows from dodgy closet grows, to a Tent with HPS, but im worried about heat aswell.

4. yea i was planning on using the 2 4in duct fans and the 400w hps in the tent but i have no idea how hot it will get in their because i have no experience with an hps.

5. I dont think the air cooled hood is necessary. I run a 400watter with a 6inch fan, (435 cfm) no problems. If you are having problems, you can always put ducting right up near the light and have the exhaust at the other end so it is sucking the air right next to the light. It will be similar but not as good as ain air cooled hood. (This method was suggested to me by a guy at my local hydro shop)

6. yea but how big is ur grow room because i am just worried about heat in my 3x1.5x5.5 grow tent.

7. I use a 400w HPS in a 20"x36"x48" tent, I use an air cooled hood, and heat is not an issue anymore so than it would be with any other light. What I mean is, it stays cool, but not without the air cooled hood and 4" setup venting outside.

mine stays 1-3 degrees warmer than the room.

8. hey thanks man, yea i was looking for someone who had experience with this shit and i was gonna get the vented hood and probably 6" inline fans instead of the 4" ones.

9. I have a 3x3x7 tent with the 435 and non air cooled hood.

10. i was just lookin on htgsupply.com they got tents on there said it was alright for 250,400,and 600 HPS and well as 400 and 600 metal halides. so id think if theres can handle it your should:confused:
    unless they just neglected to mention that little detail.

11. Im growing 3 Bogglegum plants in a 4x4x6 space. Cooltube>6 inch ducting>6 inch hydrofarm fan SUCKING AIR OUT. Room never gets above 75.

12. Air-cooled hoods are the way to go my friend. I ran a 400w HPS air-cooled and my temps were just about right. A 400w for your little tent would be just about right, I had my guy in a 4x4x7(ft). I personally think I had it a bit overkilled, my 6" fan ran about 320 cfm per minute, and some 6" ducting took it right out. If you get a fan, I would figure 150 cfm-200 cfm for that size tent would be about appropriate, however I'm just a noob asking a lot of the same questions you are. Good luck

13. i was lucky..i built my cabinet right next to my chiminey...cut a little drywall, put a tee in and now it vents out 30 feet above the ground. i run a cool tube and a duct fan inside the cabinet. I vented the floor and place the duct fan about a foot from the top so the fans are pulling the heat away from the plant. i can keep the cabinet within 1 degree f of the room temp running a 250 hps.