Can I turn HPS on with CFLS?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by matumbo, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Attached are a few pics of a setup.

The CFLS are currently running 24/7 and I've read that more light is always better.

I couldn't get it into one image but the HPS is right above it. What would happen if I kept that on as well? Keep in mind that I can move either sets of lights up and down. Would it really be more the merrier in this case?

I'm thinking the room would heat up so I'd have to turn on the fan to keep the temperature down. What would an ideal temperature be? I've read that humidity should stay high during the seedling stages(80%) but haven't seen anything about temperature.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. of course you can, the more the better. cfl's are great for supplementary lighting.

3. Thanks! Any idea about the temperature/humidity?

Oh also, the height. How high should the HPS be at this stage?

4. Hey bro. Looks like an awesome set up. I haven't seen one like it yet; with the *Fluorescent tubes and the HPS above. Seems like with there being gaps inbetween each one the HPS light will still penetrate pretty well.

CFLs are Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs. They are the twisty ones that fit into a regular light socket.

You have Fluorescent Tubes. Probably T5's, correct?

One question though; where did you get those Fluors??? Look like the ones that are in soda fridges inside of stores.

5. Thanks man. Us first timers always have new ideas :p
    I put a lot of hard work into it. The reason i made it that way was that I was told that the CFLS were step 1 and HPS was step 2 essentially.

so when step 2 were to come(veg), I would just take my innovative coat hangers out and start the HPS up.

I'll send you a msg about the fluros.

Oh and also, I've turned the light on.. Temperature is hovering around 31 degrees celcius. The humidity has dropped to about 19% though. I turned my vortex fan on and im assuming this is why. Should i be worried about this?

6. just added a humidifier. RH is at 18 on one meter but showing 32 on the humidifier.. it's a cool mist one.

it's one of the better ones too that includes the meter reading and automatic on and off. It's a bit bigger than I wanted it to be but I really liked the fact that it was automated.

Hope it turns out well . Going to give it 30-60 min to see if it can change the levels.

My temp has shot up to about 90 degrees.. I hope this brings it down a bit.

7. I would definitely like to get a humidifier for my next grow. I too am only on grow 1 :)

Do you have any intake/exhaust fans?? If not, that is your biggest problem with the heat issue.

8. I have an exhaust fan.
    No out-take.

I just got cold mist humidifier.. It seems to be doing well...
    RH sitting at about 60
    temp aroudn 80 degrees